The difference between red and black sex link eggs?

mbleily

Crowing
13 Years
Feb 20, 2008
Idaho
I have 5 and 5 of the sex links. I also have a lot of different hens. I know since I have gotten the sex links I have been getting some really dark brown eggs. I just wondered what the color difference is with the red and the black sex links eggs are. I am thinking that the dark ones are coming from the red girls...for some reason. Also, those of you that have them which lay more eggs?

Many places breed black and red sexlinks from different parent strains. They are crosses so it'll be hard to compare line to line. I've not really seen a difference in production or color of shells in the sexlinks I get from the local feed store.

Bovan Brown And Bovan Nera are what they call them. They said they imported them from the Netherlands a long time ago. The browns look more red to me with the light tail and markings like so many do and the blacks are all black and black with red markings around the neck and chest. They claim the browns are their best layers. They ship chicks and eggs and sell at the store so I guess they should know. I just wondered if anyone else noticed. I can't tell because I have so many chickens I can't keep track of one.

Most all of my red sex-links do lay a darker brown egg than say Rhode Island Reds or Barred Rocks of my experience. A few lay lighter toned shells, but mostly they're fairly dark for not being one of the "dark egg" breeds. Of course towards the end of the lay cycle they do begin to lighten in color.

Most all of my red sex-links do lay a darker brown egg than say Rhode Island Reds or Barred Rocks of my experience. A few lay lighter toned shells, but mostly they're fairly dark for not being one of the "dark egg" breeds. Of course towards the end of the lay cycle they do begin to lighten in color.

When I started getting these dark eggs I was thinking the same thing. They were darker than my Wellsommer and other dark layer bids eggs. But they are from the hatchery and they are older now. Their eggs have gotten lighter and lighter.

Back
Top Bottom