Chicken suddenly ill -- possible emergency?

LorryElizabeth

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2023
Suddenly (literally in just the past couple of hours) our red sex link chicken has begun standing in one place, won't move at all, and seems to be holding herself in an odd fashion. Possibly straining to lay an egg? I read that having an egg bound chicken is quite rare but also an emergency when it does happen. Thoughts on anything else it could be? We are going out now to palpate the area and see if we feel an egg.

Suddenly (literally in just the past couple of hours) our red sex link chicken has begun standing in one place, won't move at all, and seems to be holding herself in an odd fashion. Possibly straining to lay an egg? I read that having an egg bound chicken is quite rare but also an emergency when it does happen. Thoughts on anything else it could be? We are going out now to palpate the area and see if we feel an egg.
You could try soaking her in a warm Epsom salt bath.

Is she standing like penguin? Do you have any tums or calcium citrate?

You could try soaking her in a warm Epsom salt bath.
We soaked her in warm water for about 15 minutes and gently massaged her. We then dried her off (as best we could) and put her in the coop by herself. She didn't lay an egg, but she did poop. She is eating today and walking fine -- but still no egg. We are watching her closely.

Is she standing like penguin? Do you have any tums or calcium citrate?
I'm not sure what standing like a penguin exactly means, but she seemed to be pushing while standing -- we could see her vent sort of opening and closing. We can't see or feel an egg, though. We had some electrolyte solution, which we mixed up for her and used a dropper to try and force some of it in her. We have oyster shells out, which she did eat a bit of when we put a new scoop full into the container.

I'm not sure what standing like a penguin exactly means, but she seemed to be pushing while standing -- we could see her vent sort of opening and closing. We can't see or feel an egg, though. We had some electrolyte solution, which we mixed up for her and used a dropper to try and force some of it in her. We have oyster shells out, which she did eat a bit of when we put a new scoop full into the container.
Standing with her butt down and shoulders up. She needs a calcium supplement, do you have any?

Standing with her butt down and shoulders up. She needs a calcium supplement, do you have any?
None other than Oyster shells. Do you have a recommendation for what I should buy? I did see that you mentioned tums. I can buy those today. Anything else I could/should try in terms of calcium? Thank you!

UPDATE! SHE JUST LAYED AN EGG! Not sure if it was the warm water soak, the electrolytes, extra oyster shells or pure good fortune. Thank you to all who offered help!

Back
Top Bottom