The dog owner called me... WWYD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rufus kept getting out recently but he wouldn't go far because he knew we would be right after him. The last time he got out (3 weeks ago) I spanked him and hauled his butt back in the yard. Now mind you
lau.gif
, this is a german/australian mix. Huge dog! I was worn out after that!

I'm very happy that the owner called. I would still call ACO just to make a paper record of it...That's nice that she wants to pay for new chicks, BUT, I think that she should pay for the pen and egg losses too. Don't make a big deal over it, even though I would, because then she might say to hell with it and not pay anything.

Quote:
I Agree the replacement of the chicks is great but I would not jeopardize that by nickel and dimming her to the point she pays nothing. Attorney are way more expensive than chicks.
wink.png

Look up your state law. In the state of Alabama on livestock it is double your loss. Not to be mean but, if they are aware of a state law that might be like that, they will be more willing to work with you. Use this as a last resort. I had a problem with neighbors dogs and they were very understanding. Being informed about the laws gives you an edge if they suddenly turn.

Dangerous Dogs
You may not allow you dog to chase, snap at, attack, or bark at pedestrians, joggers, dogs walked on a leash by owners, bicycles or vehicles.

I'm sorry and don't mean to make anybody mad, but this cracked me up!!! I can see "chase, snap at, attack", but my word, barking makes him a dangerous dog??!! The poor dog can't even bark at a dog being walked past his yard? C'mon! That's like telling a rooster not to crow! OK, I'm done now! Don't want this to turn out like all the other dog threads!​

If it's in my local laws, it must be there for a reason...

An owner is responsible for training their dog. I don't believe in pet ownership without some sort of obedience training. It is perfectly normal and common for most dogs to actually be trained by humans within reason. If there is a lack of training-that is the humans fault. If there is no training, and saying that a "dog will be a dog", then why even bother getting them to sit, stay, lay, come, roll over etc?

Yes, nuisance barking is a problem, but due to a lack of training. Occassional barking is something that happens rarely if trained properly. I am a firm believer that dogs are smart enough to be trained-it's only us humans who fail to take the time and effort involved. The problem lies with the attitude of "let's get Johnny a cute puppy", and then put it in the yard and not take the effort to teach it, or to simply stop the training at sit, stay etc. Or, as the case with some uninformed owners is, getting a dog as a "guard" dog and allowing it to bark at everything that moves in order to be a "really good guard dog". Any dog worth it's weight will (from training) know when and what to bark at, and when there is a real threat to the owner.

I think the local law is on the books for nuisance repeat offenders.

Last edited:
Yea, that's probably why they put it there, for those few instances (like my neighbor's Jack Russell) where the dog barks for 6 - 8 hours straight (at night) and drives everybody nuts. Otherwise it's just the dog voicing his opinion! Like in the book 101 Dalmations (not the Disnified movies) that's how the dogs passed on information and visited with one another.
smile.png

Foulweatheredfriends: That was not meant to make fun of you. I was just laughing at cookinmom's post. It wasn't meant to offend you. My dogs bark if my nieghbor sneezes. We haven't had close neighbors before and they are just getting use to people being around. Sorry.

Guess I kinda figured ya'll were makin' fun o my southern, country like, local laws.
I didn't make em-just try to follow them
smile.png

I actually have neighbors that would take that particular law and "run" with it. They look for any excuse to stir up strife, but can't see that they truly are difficult, busy body people.

No lasting damage to my ego
big_smile.png

Thanks for clarifying!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom