The Dorking Breeders thread

Whew, thank you! I thought I remembered the Dorking chick legs starting out yellow and then turning white, but that was 2 years ago. Last year I had some Speckled Sussex and Buckeye chicks together that I purchased as 3-day olds, and the SS legs were pearly white and the BE legs were dark buttercup yellow/orange from the start, so that dramatic contrast was a more recent memory. The legs of the older Dorking chicks are already a shade lighter than they were last week, so I'm hopeful they'll completely lose the yellowing. We'll see what happens.
fl.gif

I have no doubt that there have been some (hopefully) distant outcrossings in this stock -- I can see it in several of the lessor-quality hens, and in some of the cockerels that I culled. Some of the lessor hens lay eggs that are a few shades darker than they should be, although still just tinted, not brown. And a few of the lessor hens and one of the cockerels had a distinctive stance and bearing, much like some of the beautiful showy Mediterranean breeds but on shorter legs. So probably at least one outcrossing to increase size, creating a darker tinted egg, and another outcrossing along the way to increase egg production, which in turn decreased muscling. I know they're not perfect. But these are starter birds for me. I'll learn a lot from them while improving my infrastructure and enjoying lots of delicious eggs and meat. Then I'll either move on to better quality stock, or have bred these up to better quality.

I am interested in dorkings. Any good breeders here on BYC? I want good quality.

Last edited:
There are some, but I caution you to do your homework carefully before buying any from anywhere. Especially if they will be shipped. Given it was almost wiped out, there are still many out there mixed with other breeds. More so than the "purebred", but we're working on it :D I'm excited to see someone else interested, as I just started my Dorking flock not too long ago & have a lot of learning to do myself (You probably know more than I do).
The only reason I would want to caution you is because not all breeders are created equal. Some claim to be when they're not. A breeder wouldn't sell you chicks with "faults". Since I cannot breed these, they're lost money, resource, and future income for me :/
These things wouldn't matter to someone just wanting them as layers. And that's fine if that's what you're looking for. But I assume you're planning on doing some future breeding yourself if you're here?
Regardless, welcome & thanks for joining the cause! lol
BTW, I can't speak from personal experience, but I've heard nothing but good things about Yellow House Farm anytime Dorkings are mentioned. I haven't purchased any from them yet, but I intend to in the future if possible ;)

Remember that breed for breed "good" quality means something different. In Dorkings there are acceptable Dorkings available in White, Red, and Silver Grey. I know of a couple of focused breeders in each of these colors. At this stage, most people beginning to work with Dorkings are beginning to work with chickens in general. There is still a strong tendency to be pulled in by more color varieties than one can manage to do well.

The easiest color to procure right now is the Silver Grey, but in my mind they are the hardest to work with. The Whites would be the easiest to work with

At this point, all Dorkings will need a long-term commitment if success is the goal.

I also believe that for success to be achieved a breeder of Dorkings needs to be APA affiliated and attend shows regularly to learn the skills necessary for improvement.

Last edited:
I got Reds from Dick Horstmann. They are growing out nicely and are a very consistent lot. I've not culled a single one for toes and so far all the combs on cockerels look decent at worst, altho too soon to really tell. I'm afraid my problem when its time to cull is going to be one of richness. I suspect I'll be posting on this thread looking for help to set up my breeding pens. I think that's a good problem to have! Too hot to ship right now, but you might want to contact him if you are interested in Reds. He also has SG. He's got a website. Buy chicks or started stock. Shipped eggs is for when you don't really need them. Because if you do, it will be a bust.

Solid colors are best if you are starting out. Or at least non complicated patterns. Reds are nice because its basically the wild type. Really the whites need work and there are some breeders really working on them. YHF being one. Do not get sucked into Coloreds. That is a color that will just sink you at the moment. I'm not sure it breeds true. I just don't know enough to say. I just know that many individuals have been drawn to them only to give up within 5 years. No quality in Cuckoos and I'm not sure they should have been admitted to the standard.

I can't speak to SG being tricky. Many individuals wanting to get Dorkings go to Sandhill. I've done it myself. They have a lot of non recognized colors and also different combs. For example they have RC and SC Reds. Thing is those birds all come from the same pens. They just separate at hatch based on comb type. Takes a while to sort out the genetics of that type of breeding. It really comes down to your goals.

So why don't you outline your goals for Dorkings and what color you like best and we'll see if we can give you some leads?

Jennifer

[quote name="Yellow House Farm" url="/t/882047/the-dorking-breeders-thread/110#post_13806056

I also believe that for success to be achieved a breeder of Dorkings needs to be APA affiliated and attend shows regularly to learn the skills necessary for improvement.
[/quote]

Serendipitously, I am in a nearby suburb of Columbus, OH for work reasons the 5th and 6th of November, bought my plane ticket to return after the national chicken show. Anybody else planning to attend? Or show? This will be my first " fancy chicken" show.

Quote:
I'm planning on going up, as long as my work schedule allows (presuming I find a job before then). I'll be bringing whatever stock I have that's in shape by then. several are moulting plus I have chicks growing out too.
fl.gif
that I have someone worthy of bringing with me.

Here are the pictures of the California chicks that were shipped to me that I've been promising.
Before I had done thorough research, I ordered "one of every color" that they had. Obviously, I got a little more than I asked for, that I didn't need. What do the more experienced of you think?
I know several are "no good" right off the bat, due to yellow legs or lack of toes. But I was hoping to be able to work with the following: #1 , #3, #5 & 6 (same bird. But her legs have recently turned an olive/green color) #7 is the same pullet shown in #3.
Both of the red looking pullets's legs were white until last week, then one began turning an olive green color.
Until this point, I'd been hoping to end up with 2 red hens I could get a red cockerel for & build upon the trio.
With the development of the green legs, I'm not so sure.
How hard is this to "work out"? Is it worth it?
All the ones I had thought about working with from this shipment have white legs, brick bodies,, and 5 toes per foot.
The others pictured I plan on selling or trading for whatever I can get. I am selling them as "backyard" quality that are possibly mixed, so I don't get any naive breeders to be buying them. I'm interested in any & all opinions you all have. (I already know I got screwed X( !!) Thanks! :D

Back
Top Bottom