The downside to free range

I lost two of my new spring checks today one was an Easter egger named Goldie and there was a Barock I hadn't even got a band on her and she looks so much like her sisters that I didn't have a name yet I'm sure predator got Goldie but I couldn't find any marks on the other one they weren't even there anything just goalie had a bite mark it makes me very sad but I'd rather them have free range of the 8 acres and have a happy life then have to keep them caged up
Goldie on a happier day

I don't have chickens, only Guinea fowl. I let them free range during the day and then they are locked up in a coop at night. Because we have 5 acres, it is not really an option to fence our entire property. (Plus, the Guineas are very good at flying so would just fly over it anyways.) We are often surrounded by corn here in Iowa, which many predators hide in. This year has been especially bad for my flock but I have done a few things that have helped: I put a radio outside, turn it up loud, and tune it to talk radio to deter predators, which has helped some. I also try to avoid letting them out of the coop really early in the morning and then I put them in before the sun starts to go down. Good luck!

Just wanted to ask a question that's in this realm of "to free range, or not to free range."

I had my flock of 4 mo Buckeyes attacked by a hawk. Long story, short: one chicken was killed & the rest (10) literally flew the coop. Never saw any of them again... :barnie The roos (2) were youngsters, also. Not mature, so not protective of the pullets.

Fast forward...I got a new flock...now I really want to free range them. Hubby is against it, but it's my call. My question for you all: Can I free range in an area that is heavily wooded, with PLENTY of space to roam (18 acres) & lots of places to hide, but where hawks are very plentiful? Last time I free ranged, within two weeks of putting my birds out, they were gone. Right now, they have a 130 sf run, but I really want to let them out. Also, this flock of six 4 mo RIRs and 3 EEs (1 is a cockerel) has a mature 2 year old roo watching out for them this time. He's AWESOME at protecting and alerting...a real gentleman, too. Love him. He was free ranged at his old property. Not a rookie. ;)

So....what say you good people? Should I try again...? :confused:

Last edited:
Honestly, it's completely up to you if you want to "try again".
Would you be ok if this small flock was killed by hawks and other predators on your 18 acres?
Only you can answer that question and I wish you the best with the situation.

Honestly, it's completely up to you if you want to "try again".
Would you be ok if this small flock was killed by hawks and other predators on your 18 acres?
Only you can answer that question and I wish you the best with the situation.

Thanks for the reply...
1f60a.png
I suppose I was looking more to acquire some actual insight into the situatiion -- perhaps odds of this happening with a mature roo vs a cockerel teenager. Or, my RIRs are heavier birds than the Buckeyes were & would it make them less appealing? You know...anything else that may be helpful in my decision making. As my flock is not made up of pets, I am emotionally fine with losing them sporadically (NOT often) if it means being able to free range them. As far as an investment...they're fairly cheap to replace around here.

My "pet flock" of banties....don't get free ranged. Those, I'm not ok with losing.
1f44e.png

TLady, it's strange that the rest of the original flock "flew the coop". Seems that if they had accepted the coop for their home they would have come back to it that evening or over the next day or so, but they were fairly young and inexperienced.

TLady, it's strange that the rest of the original flock "flew the coop".  Seems that if they had accepted the coop for their home they would have come back to it that evening or over the next day or so, but they were fairly young and inexperienced.

Yep...I had NO IDEA that could happen -- flying the coop. I figured if I lost a bird here or there to predation, I purchased extra birds for that possibility, so not a huge big deal. Then, they all left! I was really shocked, honestly. Live & learn, I suppose. I'm thinking when I do let them free range again, it'll be after they're all laying and they've lived in the coop for a few months. Then, I'm hoping they'll come back if something happens. All my rural neighbors have free range chickens &/or geese with no problems. I'm thinking their leaving was a product of immature birds who'd only been in the coop for three weeks. :/

(Edit to add: The birds were in a new coop I had just finished building. They were raised in a smaller a-frame coop on a different part of the property, so were not entirely accepting of the new coop, I guess! :rolleyes: )

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom