The dreaded egg wait.

fshinggrl

Songster
10 Years
May 1, 2009
the edge of insanity
I have 10 chickens. Three welsummers who are about 18 weeks old, a barred rock, 2 EE's & 2 Light Brahmas who are about 21 weeks and 1 EE & 1 Columbian Wyandotte who are about 23 weeks old. I understand that I should not be watching for eggs from the Wellies for a few more weeks, but come on... 21-23 weeks are old enough to lay!!! My EEs started laying at 20 weeks 2 years ago when I got my first flock. Of course, a watched flock won't lay... I've been stalking them.
smile.png
Who else is waiting? What is the longest you have waited? I hatched one of the EE's, so I know exactly when she was born (4/23). The other ones (about 21 week olds) I got as one day olds about 4 days later.
In the picture is 2 light brahmas, 1 barred rock & my columbian wyandotte. p.s. (eta) there are no hiding spots in their run. They are not free range so nowhere to hide them.
29942_imag2386_byc.jpg

Last edited:
I hear ya, although mine are a bit younger, 3 RIR's and 3 Ameraucanas all 20 weeks... its like come on already! One red has been squatting for me so thats a good sign :)

Quote:
Yes they do look alike, but the wyandotte is smaller & does not have feathers on her legs (outside). The Wyandotte is in the middle and I believe the comb type is different as well. Wyandottes have rose combs and brahmas are different.

eta: I don't see any squatting with my flock... yet.
sad.png

Last edited:
You have some very pretty pullets.
smile.png

It is a tough wait but it will be worth it when they start laying. I am posting a photo of the eggs I got from my 21 week old pullets. Yesterday I found 7 eggs in the nest and 2 eggs on the coop floor. I was thrilled, NINE eggs in one day! Half of my pullets are laying at 21 weeks. My Leghorns had been laying for about a month but now some of the other breeds have started laying! I posted this on another thread but here are the 7 eggs in the roll out nests.
73053_eggsfrom21weekoldpullets.jpg

Ok there with ya girl we have 11 buff & splash orps & 9 brahmas that are 24 weeks we are waiting to get kicked in on laying. We have 1 brahma that just started laying small eggs. I feel your pain on waiting.
barnie.gif

A watched hen will not lay. They're not even laying in the nest boxes yet. I have some golf balls in them to help them figure it out. I am wearing out a path out to the coop.
sad.png
Thanks!

Quote:
LOL...I thought I was gonna kill the grass in the field as much as I checked for eggs! The wait was excrutiating. But, trust me, so worth the wait! Mine were 21 weeks. I used fake eggs...and you know what the little buggers did once they started laying? They kicked those fakes right out of the nest boxes! It was like they were saying to me "Just who do you think you're kidding?"
lol.png

Quote:
We have nine girls who are 22 weeks (four different breeds), but one of them has been laying since 18 1/2 weeks!!!! She is a machine, one egg a day with rarely a break. But the others are driving me crazy. I mean, come on already!!!! I did observe 5 of them in and out of the nest boxes this morning while Annabelle was laying, so I know they are close. Tomorrow it will be exactly 1 month since she laid her first egg.

Back
Top Bottom