The dreaded question.. sex this please!

Ooh, that's a lot of red now and the comb is getting some plumpness to it. Now I'm thinking cockerel. The red didn't stay as washed looking if that makes sense, now it is more solid.

Ooh, that's a lot of red now and the comb is getting some plumpness to it. Now I'm thinking cockerel. The red didn't stay as washed looking if that makes sense, now it is more solid.
Well I needed some colorful roos so I guess Hedwig will fit the bill😂 nearly every chick I just hatched out was black (thanks Australorp x2 and FBCM boys!)

I see no male saddle feathers, no red comb, no sickle feathers and not very pointed hackle feathers.. why do you think cockeral? Genuinely curious.
None of my cockerels show pointed saddle/hackle feathers before 10 to 12 weeks old.
One didn't till around 15 weeks, so they can be very late.
I'm not much good at sexing EEs, but I too am thinking cockerel.

This is a stumper. I'm going to swim upstream and say pullet.

Aside from the red, I don't see a single thing that suggests cockerel. The comb is well within pullet range.

Does look to be a bit older than 9 weeks though. Are you certain in that age?

This is a stumper. I'm going to swim upstream and say pullet.

Aside from the red, I don't see a single thing that suggests cockerel. The comb is well within pullet range.

Does look to be a bit older than 9 weeks though. Are you certain in that age?
I got it on 3/20 and it was only a few days old.. fluffy baby pic, hence the name Hedwig 😉

Attachments

• 20230320_205213.jpg
    20230320_205213.jpg
    326.7 KB · Views: 8
Thank you for sharing! Cute little LADY (🤣🤣 take that team cockerel)

I will certainly be bookmarking and checking in on this one.
Lol.. we're the minority but team pullet it is!
SHE'S 😂 not much larger than the other 8 (3 Speckled Sussex, 2 Silkie, 2 other EE and my what I told was a green egger but is apparently a Dark Brahma pullet) that were all acquired within a few days of each other. The DB is a bit taller but it's body isn't as long. The SS are within a half inch of Hedwig as well.

Lol.. we're the minority but team pullet it is!
SHE'S 😂 not much larger than the other 8 (3 Speckled Sussex, 2 Silkie, 2 other EE and my what I told was a green egger but is apparently a Dark Brahma pullet) that were all acquired within a few days of each other. The DB is a bit taller but its body isn't as long. The SS are within a half inch of Hedwig as well.
🤜 🤛

Back
Top Bottom