The Duck Math Thread: How Many You Started With, How Many Now

Oh man, you are going to get such a story, here. I don't think I'll go into all the ducklings I've bred over the years, though... I'll just include the ones I kept for awhile.

Started with 1 feral mutt duckling from the local lake when I was 9.
1+2-1=2 Kept two of her ducklings, but some teenaged brat decided to wring the original duck's neck for funzies.
2+3=5 Kept three of the babies' babies for various reasons.
5-5+1=1 Some deaths, some rehomings, but I kept a duckling whose parents were the son and granddaughter of the original duck.
1-1+2=2 The duck got out of the fence and disappeared forever. I bought a khaki and a cayuga from the pet store.
2+10-7=5 Decided I wanted to try some breeds, got a variety pack from Metzer. Kept three.
5+5-10=0 Had some fun mixing breeds, got some really neat birds, but had to sell them all when I graduated high school and moved out of AK.
0+2-2=0 Bought some mallards while living on a farm in MI. They were really neat, but were wild-type and flew off when they got old enough.
0+10-4=6 Got some WH and Golden 300s from Metzer, sold some.
6-4=2 Traded four ducks for a sheep.
big_smile.png

I now have one WH pair, Wallet and Keys. Probably not getting more, since my husband prefers chickens and they don't lay their eggs in the middle of the yard for the crows to eat. LOL

Well....went to the auction just to check it out and possibly get some chooks. don't know what happened.
idunno.gif

1+1=2 One Rouen pair
2+1=3 Semi feral splash runner laid egg in neighbor girl's back yard. It hatched into a beautiful drake.
3+2=5 Friend had fox take out 3 ducks. Didn't want remaining 2 drakes to become dinner.
5-1=4 Mini Bull Terrier escaped yard and had a fat Christmas dinner with my Rouen hen. Ate the whole thing!
somad.gif

Now I had 4 drakes and no hens. Had to get more...
hide.gif

4+7= 11 Six Muscovies (4 hens 2 drakes), one Black Swede drake.

Started with 11 3-day old straight run black Cayugas(only ordered 10) last May, lost one to an unknown predator the week before the pond froze over...before I could get the ducks to go into their house to be locked up at night=10 (6 drakes and 4 hens)

Have one recuperating in the garage from an opossum who was in the duck house when I went to close them up last week. This spring, I plan on selling or trading my four extra drakes and replacing them with hens to keep an even 10, which seems manageable on our 1 acre pond. Who knows after they start laying?!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom