The Duck-ponics Experiment - Raising minnows

I love this thread
I have a good friend who has a bunch of coy/kio (you know what I mean). Some are fairly large and don't think the ducks would try to eat them.
fl.gif
I just wonder if the bigger fish would scare the ducks
hide.gif
. I'm not talking big enough to eat the ducks but maybe a foot long? This may have been answered but what kind of pump do I need to use?
hu.gif

I don't know. Mine came with the liner. It is pretty powerful even though it is small. Next time I fish around in there I will check and see if it says what power it is.

Speaking of fish, that goldfish is still there. It IS hanging out under the ceramic "coral". The reason the ducks haven't seen it is the coral thing is orange. This is one smart little fishy. I will have to get some more feeder fish next payday. The stupid ones will become duckfood, and maybe smartie fish will end up with a mate
big_smile.png

The only thing that has me wondering is if these ducks will become dinner, consuming a diet too high in fish can give a gamey taste to the meat. However since this is a small pond and you're talking feeder goldfish, have at it, they'll enjoy the fishing. (We've had 10 cent feeder fish live 4-5 years in the pond and reach 4-5 inches).

My ducks aren't eatin' ducks. Well, they could be, but we have them for the eggs and the cheap entertainment
big_smile.png

Fish are only an occasional treat around here. They have their game bird feed, they get lots of greens and spend their day hunting for bugs and worms. Pretty nice life for a duck
big_smile.png

Is there any way you can get pictures of the filter/ pump set up? I'd love to have something similar, and about the same size. But after reading all the posts and links, I'm still not completely sure how it is all set up. Thanks.

ETA:Never mind- think I've got it straightened out!

Last edited:
I think I know how I want to make mine... So another question if you don't mind.
Do you leave the pump running 24/7? Probably a fairly small pump, but do you notice a difference in the electricity bill? I wouldn't think they'd use that much energy, but I really don't know.

Back
Top Bottom