The Duck Thread

Are you in NC? I'm looking around the Hickory/ Granite Falls area as we have family there.

Western NC in the mountains 60-70 miles North west of Hickory
Guess we'll have to keep in touch for at least the next couple of years as it will probably be that long before we'll be able to move anywhere. My 88 year old Mom is still living and in her own home. I've tried to convince her how nice it would be if we both sold out here and move to one home together, plus she'd be near her 2 youngest sisters. But so far I've not been convincing enough. She loves her home and hates moving:) But I'm not too sure if Mom will be able to live alone in a year or two, & there is where my timeline may or may not begin. At any rate, I hope we become friends here for much longer:) And don't you get snow in those mountains in the winter?? Are you closer to Brevard? One of my Aunts and her family lives there. From what I understand both her girls live in the mountains around there.

We have them here too. And I swear they get bigger every year. I've never really worried about them for myself but for my dogs bc they are so tiny and so close to the ground. And they have long flowing coats, so it's easier for the darned bugs to crawl on them(Yorkies and Maltese). But this is just another reason I stopped putting the dogs outside. As far as ducks eating flies, well mine sure don't. Actually they are drawing them. We have the most trouble with flies around the duck pen than anywhere else.I read here all the wonderful stories about members' ducks and how much they truly enjoy them. But I am afraid I do not find the same satisfaction with mine and do not wish to ever have more. To me they are dirty and stinky, and we can't keep the pen from being anything but a mud pit. Had I known this, I wouldn't have had any ducks at all. Mine are not able to free range, so they are confined to their pen 24/7. They seem quite content and are healthy. I'm hoping once we build their permanent pen, they will be less messy. Oh, they aren't human friendly either and kind of go nuts when you step inside their domain. Why do I keep them? Bc I do not believe in throwing animals away once I've made the choice to have them and care for them. So we put up with the mud and try to eradicate the flies as best we can.

More space does not equal less mess only more space to make of mess of.
Yes, I realize that, but my ducks just need more space bc since the babies were born and are now big, they've outgrown the original space:)

@lynnhill I believe there's a few owners here that use fly predators for fly control. Had to look them up myself but essentially its just another bug but it only eats fly larvae or something like that. I just started buying extra fly bags when my flock started growing and it seems to help. As far as space goes if you ever get overwhelmed I have plenty of space here, :) not sure how far you are from Yosemite, just wanted to throw the option out there for some ease of mind.
Attimus

This morning I found a listing on Facebook for 2 free ducks. 6 months old both males one a pekin and the other indian runner. So...now I have 2 ducks
1f606.png
lol I couldnt resist. These are our first. Our other ones are still in the incubator haha.
[/IMG]

Their names are aflac and bowling pin lmao. Thats what they called them.

This morning I found a listing on Facebook for 2 free ducks. 6 months old both males one a pekin and the other indian runner. So...now I have 2 ducks
1f606.png
lol I couldnt resist. These are our first. Our other ones are still in the incubator haha.
[/IMG]

Congratulations and welcome to the world of ducks:) They are adorable!

1f606.png
[/IMG]

Cute cuties you got. Congratulations.

Back
Top Bottom