The Duck Thread

I was removing the chicken eggs that didn't hatch last week and I noticed my duck eggs started pipping already YAY! They werent supposed to hatch til thursday or friday but as long as they are doing ok im just excited about it...I love little ducky ducks thet are so cute...and afraid of me :( i dont know how to get them unafraid ive tried handling them it doesnt seem to help much everytime i open the door to the brooder they run like I'm coming in to hurt them... dang it :/

Last edited:
I was removing the chicken eggs that didn't hatch last week and I noticed my duck eggs started pipping already YAY! I love little ducky ducks thet are so cute...and afraid of me
sad.png
i dont know how to get them unafraid ive tried handling them it doesnt seem to help much everytime i open the door to the brooder they run like I'm coming in to hurt them... dang it
hmm.png
Do you talk to them and let them know you are there before opening the door? Maybe just sitting for a time with them just talking softly or singing to them will help and not handling them. also if they are old enough a soft hand with some yummy meal worms or smashed peas may win them over too. I can't sing a lick but my birds don't seem to mind.

About two years ago j lost one of my ducks and the other is living by himself with a lot of love with humans. We've been looking for a duck for a while and now we have a chance to get a Cayuga duck. My duck is a call duck so they will be very different sizes would that be okay?

About two years ago j lost one of my ducks and the other is living by himself with a lot of love with humans. We've been looking for a duck for a while and now we have a chance to get a Cayuga duck. My duck is a call duck so they will be very different sizes would that be okay?
What sex are they? Some say if you have a large drake not a good idea to have a light weight female. But sometimes there isn't that much difference in size. My Muscovy drakes are quite a bit larger than my Female Muscovy's and they do fine together. I don't think I'd want to pair a Muscovy drake with a tiny call duck though . I honestly don't think size difference would matter with a call and cayuga. But you'll have to do intros very slowly your Call isn't going to welcome a new duck into the fold right off they will need to get to know each other slow and easy. If you have a large dog crate or can borrow one that would be one way of introducing or on different sides of fences is another. Just make sure you always supervise when doing intros so no one gets picked on or hurt.

Last edited:
What sex are they? Some say if you have a large drake not a good idea to have a light weight female. But sometimes there isn't that much difference in size. My Muscovy drakes are quite a bit larger than my Female Muscovy's and they do fine together. I don't think I'd want to pair a Muscovy drake with a tiny call duck though . I honestly don't think size difference would matter with a call and cayuga. But you'll have to do intros very slowly your Call isn't going to welcome a new duck into the fold right off they will need to get to know each other slow and easy. If you have a large dog crate or can borrow one that would be one way of introducing or on different sides of  fences is another. Just make sure you always supervise when doing intros so no one gets picked on or hurt.

X2

I think Cayugas are on the smaller size of the range of larger ducks, but I could be wrong... I do have Call drakes with larger ducks and they do fine... but I agree on taking time letting them get to know one another with a divider before allowing open access... ducks are so finicky about changes and newbies...

Call drakes and big duck, lol... :)

What sex are they? Some say if you have a large drake not a good idea to have a light weight female. But sometimes there isn't that much difference in size. My Muscovy drakes are quite a bit larger than my Female Muscovy's and they do fine together. I don't think I'd want to pair a Muscovy drake with a tiny call duck though . I honestly don't think size difference would matter with a call and cayuga. But you'll have to do intros very slowly your Call isn't going to welcome a new duck into the fold right off they will need to get to know each other slow and easy. If you have a large dog crate or can borrow one that would be one way of introducing or on different sides of  fences is another. Just make sure you always supervise when doing intros so no one gets picked on or hurt.

they are both males and we were planning on doing the crate thing but thanks for the advice!!!

Back
Top Bottom