The Duck Thread

Hey everyone, so Im getting some ducklings on Friday or saturday from the local feedstore and i was a little disappointed with the breeds they were ordering. They will have Pekins, Runners, and Rouens.. they said will be ordering mallards and/or khakis from the overhatch if they're available for me, but if not, can anyone enlighten me as to which of the three breed would be the best choice? I am looking for pet material, and ive already somewhat ruled out pekins as they are not my type. but i dont know much about rouens other than they're a meat breed and idk anything about runners really. pictures of yours would be great too! :)

Hey everyone, so Im getting some ducklings on Friday or saturday from the local feedstore and i was a little disappointed with the breeds they were ordering. They will have Pekins, Runners, and Rouens..  they said will be ordering mallards and/or khakis from the overhatch if they're available for me, but if not, can anyone enlighten me as to which of the three breed would be the best choice? I am looking for pet material, and ive already somewhat ruled out pekins as they are not my type. but i dont know much about rouens other than they're a meat breed and idk anything about runners really. pictures of  yours would be great too! :)

Personally I am a Pekin person, plus I don't know too much about the other breeds but I believe Rouens are supposed to be pretty nice and have a nice temperment. Possibly the same with runners but I don't know.

Based on my experience and what I have read here, any duck, any breed can be a good companion. There are some variables, though, and I think it comes down to personalities.

Spending time with the ducks, interacting with them is what I did and I have very friendly ducks, even a few huggers.

There are folks with ducks that sit on their shoulders, go everywhere with them. . . each case is unique. My Runners are not in the least skittish - even though I have read that they are. Well, not this group. What seems to make the difference is how they are treated in their first few months.

i would get like one of each haha, but i dont want more than three... I guess it all depends on the overhatch. does anyone know how rouens are health-wise? like do they get leg problems due to their size, or have shorter lifespans?

Last edited:
The first thing I noticed with my Rouens was my drake got a green tint to his bill. The second thing I noticed was the female started quacking. Then the drake finally started getting green head feathers and the drake curl. If you look at the one in the back, that is my drake Pogo before he got his adult coloring. But his beak has a green tint.
Precious and very cute adorable sweet little lap ducks. Loves alots.

i would get like one of each haha, but i dont want more than three... I guess it all depends on the overhatch. does anyone know how rouens are health-wise? like do they get leg problems due to their size, or have shorter lifespans?
get in touch with Debs Flock. She has 2 cute Rouens and ive never heard her say anything about then having problems.

Miss Lydia, thanks for the idea of an appliance box. I went to a furniture store near us and they had two huge boxes! Problem solved.

Debs Flock: thanks for the idea on the watermelons, unfortunately they aren't in season as of yet.

Can someone explain to me how I respond to multiple quotes in one post. I just don't understand!

Back
Top Bottom