The Duck Thread

Hello all, well I have a question for any who may know. What type of ducks do we have? We got them from our local TSC and the lady "thought" they were regular white pekings, but now we are in doubt. They were all cute little yellow ducklings, then within a few weeks 2 developed a dark spot on their heads, and now they all are getting dark caps with the initial 2 having a much more prominent spot. Thanks in advanced.

Hmm, how old are they?

@MotorcycleChick ...look familiar? Odd...they can't be true Magpies or Pekins. Anconas maybe?

Hello all, well I have a question for any who may know. What type of ducks do we have? We got them from our local TSC and the lady "thought" they were regular white pekings, but now we are in doubt. They were all cute little yellow ducklings, then within a few weeks 2 developed a dark spot on their heads, and now they all are getting dark caps with the initial 2 having a much more prominent spot. Thanks in advanced.

frow.gif
Welcome to the duck thread. I can say for sure they are not Pekins. My guess is Magpies or Muscovy and I am NO expert, lol. They sure are pretty and look like they have a happy home.

I have great news! We can file a class action lawsuit! Okay, that is... Well, I am half serious. TSC all over has been selling Pekins like this. So far, I am hearing (and seeing) that it is from birth. Here's the confusion. Muscovy is the most popular guess, but no hatcheries seem to sell them. One hatchery-I will not name them because I don't want them overwhelmed with calls- says that it is possible to have a spot on their heads. Since this is so constant (buying ducks labeled Pekin this year) I am thinking that they MUST be Pekin. How can a hatchery mislabel ducklings week after week?
Hmm, how old are they? @MotorcycleChick ...look familiar? Odd...they can't be true Magpies or Pekins. Anconas maybe?
I saw Anconas as a possibility too.

I have great news! We can file a class action lawsuit!
Okay, that is... Well, I am half serious. TSC all over has been selling Pekins like this. So far, I am hearing (and seeing) that it is from birth. Here's the confusion. Muscovy is the most popular guess, but no hatcheries seem to sell them. One hatchery-I will not name them because I don't want them overwhelmed with calls- says that it is possible to have a spot on their heads.
Since this is so constant (buying ducks labeled Pekin this year) I am thinking that they MUST be Pekin. How can a hatchery mislabel ducklings week after week?

I saw Anconas as a possibility too.
Well as I said the sales lady "thought" they were pekins, but was not sure. Also I stand corrected, as my wife informs me that the 2 had small brownish caps from the start, as you have in the picture, I thought they developed them after we had them a few days.

Thanks again for the information everyone

Back
Top Bottom