The Duck Thread

Oh... Maybe you should separate them for awhile. Put something between the brooder so they can see each other. After a few days take it out.

They aren't in a brooder anymore. They have an outside pen during the day and a corner of our shed for night. She didn't start this till this evening when they were loose in the yard with me

They aren't in a brooder anymore. They have an outside pen during the day and a corner of our shed for night. She didn't start this till this evening when they were loose in the yard with me

Oh! Then they are fine! I thought you meant little, little ducklings. Most people call them "teens" when they are about 6-9 weeks

One of my 3 female ducks is pulling feathers of my other 2 female ducks and 1 male. Is this just pecking order or what??? She is a mallard the other females are a pekin and welsh harlequin. Male is a mallard too. They are only about 5-6 weeks old. It's killing me when they quack or squeal out of pain!! She appears to be eating the fluff she pulls out. They aren't fully feathered yet. All the ducks are much bigger than her
How large of an area are they in? It could be too tight of quarters or a protein deficiency. What are you feeding them?

I have a duckling who is shaking and is shaking his head back and forth every once and and a while.. is this normal?
Yes, as long as he is eating and drinking and fine otherwise.

Oh... Maybe you should separate them for awhile. Put something between the brooder so they can see each other. After a few days take it out.
X2

It could be stress.

I have my first ever broody mama duck :) we couldnt find her the other day and thought maybe a predator got her. But with a little searching, we found her behind the pool. We had it blocked off, but she got past the wood and brick barrier and dragged straw all the way back there. She started sitting yesterday and wouldnt come off the nest. Eeeeeeeeeeep!

So what do i do with a broody duck? I know what not to do, and thats bother her. She will be left completely alone. But do i need to provide food for her back there? Its a pretty tight fit. Will she get off and eat at least once a day?
Oh, I am so relieved. She is a cute puff brooding in her tight space. Bless her for making a nest.

Hey there! I have a duckling questions and was hoping someone could help me.

I have a 10 day old Ancona duckling that seems to have no feathers/down/fuzz/covering. I can't tell if it is falling out or if it is not growing. She is eating and drinking normal. The other ducklings are not picking on her; they actually are really bonded and docile. Has anyone seen this. Is there anything I can do. At this point I am just waiting to see if she grows out of this Ugly Duckling phase and feathers out beautifully! (she is the one on the left, obviously)

Background - I had one duckling born with the cord (the one from the egg to naval) wrapped tightly around it. The cord held one wing down. When the egg was completely detached from her and she was mostly dry I sterilized some first aid scissors, quickly grabbed the duckling, clipped the cord (not removing or pulling it, just cutting it and kinda taking it off the skin) and put the her back in in incubator. She had no feathers and a slight indention when the cord was. She is the one in the front in the middle; you can see the cord mark.

The cord baby is the one in the front. You can see the "stripe" of no feathers going down her body. She is the one one the left in the first photo

Back
Top Bottom