The Duck Thread

Hi guys I've been here before about my duck Bella that had been attacked my maybe a cayote
sad.png
it's been about 4 days since and she is doing fantastic still separated though form my drake. Today I tried to see what they would do if I did put them back together and he is kinda aggressive I'd say towards and what's to force her to mate when she wants none of it! He doesn't seem to want to mate with my other female though he seems so focused on Bella even when he is behind the pen and not able to reach her! Is this normal behavior? Should I just let them be once I do put them back together? I was thinking go about doing it tomorrow but it worries me how he is being
First keep in mind that duck sex is like rape. The main thing you will want to watch for is over breeding. How many males to females do you have. It is recommended to have at least 4-5 females per male. I try to keep a higher ration than that simply because the males can be so aggressive.

No they do not have trouble in wailking we give them a polycure (fortis powder) 2 tea spoon in one galon
The fortis powder has brewers yeast which is a great source of niacin. I have not been able to determine how much it has but they should be getting plenty with that in their water. You might try also sprinkling a teaspon on their feed just to make sure though.

The bottom of our duck pen is just dirt and packed poop
1f61d.png
We want to put in some kind of "flooring" that will be easier to clean and safe for our duck babies and maybe keep down the ants when they make a mess with their food
1f601.png
At least be able to easily clean up the food that they spill. Any suggestions???!!?

To whoever asked about flying before... Our 10 wk old mallards fly pretty well, welshie can get a foot or so off the ground and our pekin just flaps his big old wings and tries to keep up with the rest
1f60a.png
Our mallards (for now) always fly right back to the others. And the landings are still a bit rough

I do the same thing, i use tarps. my duck house floor is river rock i lay straw directly on top of the river rock, But, i cleaned out the house yesterday and did not put the straw back in some areas, cuz it is getting warmer and also cuz i want the air out the duck house floor and be able to just hose the poop off of/t rock. I do make nest areas for the ducks. i made 2"x6" frames that i place on the floor and then put cut up tarps inside the frame and tuck under the wood frame. then i fill w/a little straw and each day i add a little more. by the end of a month they are over flowing w/straw and soft for them the lay on. all i have to do is pick up the tarps and throw the straw in the north 40 when it grows wheat grass and timothy grass again for my horses by the next spring.
i have a horse trailer that my DH made dividing walls and doors. i put down tarps on top of the existing rubber mats and lay clean straw down each day to cover up poop areas and by the end of a month it is about 1/2'-3/4' thick and i just haul it off to the north 40. it takes me all day to clean the duck house and the horse trailer, but it is only 1 day a month.
my duck house for the ladies

my baby lings..

Holy moly. All my ducks are moved over to our new house. Getting those two mama mallards and their week old babies was just the worst experience ever. I got bit, scratched and pooped on. Ugh. But everyone is happy and moved in to the new yard...except the people lol. Still got a lot to move!

Holy moly. All my ducks are moved over to our new house. Getting those two mama mallards and their week old babies was just the worst experience ever. I got bit, scratched and pooped on. Ugh. But everyone is happy and moved in to the new yard...except the people lol. Still got a lot to move!
clap.gif
for getting them moved. IF only they could know we are doing everything for THEM, lol. Do you think they ever realize it's a better deal?? I was just telling my Momma scovy that I'M the one who puts the food down, gees
barnie.gif
So unappreciative, lol. I hope the weather isn't as hot there as it is here.

Back
Top Bottom