The Duck Thread

O no, I didn't think of that. But I did get him for a closer look and here's what it looks like. I couldn't find a hole (not even his vent) or a flap of torn skin but it seems feathers are missing and there are blood feathers in the area. He is pooping and there is no blood in his poop. He was MIA this morning for awhile. I went out and walked around the big pond and he was here when I got back. I soaked him in warm water while my husband went to the store for epsom salt and I washed it with Betadine. Should I put some Blue Kote spray on it after I soak him in the epsom salt water?

You don't have snapping turtles in your pond? Is that his skin where his feathers were It actually looks like something pulled out the feathers. I can't imagine how though unless something came up from underneath him. I think Blue Kote would be fine to use .

All great suggestions for my stubborn pond hating ducks
1f60a.png
There are a lot of turtles in the pond. I know we have snapping turtles in the area, we had one come up out of our hay field the other day we turned him back towards it although I'm sure he eventually made it to the water. Usually we just see them floating on the surface. There are lots of Hawks flying overhead through the day and vultures (less concerned about them) but they always are looking out for them. They have their own pool in their pen which they have a ball in even though our pekin can stand up in it now that they are grown. Their pen is at the top of the hill less than 100ft from the water but they don't usually go back up to their pen for water till early evening. Aside from all of that they went in the water today when me and the SO were up at the house. They were swimming around fine until someone freaks out about something and they all come hauling *** out of the water. Here's a picture of the pond.

And this is where they usually stay while they are out of their pen. (They get to free-range if we are home)

Someone was also talking about eclipsing and I had no idea what it was but my mallard Drake is eclipsing now!!! Excited to see how his colors come out!!!

group shot, wouldn't want to leave anyone out!

You don't have snapping turtles in your pond? Is that his skin where his feathers were It actually looks like something pulled out the feathers. I can't imagine how though unless something came up from underneath him. I think Blue Kote would be fine to use .
Yes, that's his skin. That is all that I can tell is something pulled his feathers out. I can't say yes or no on the snapping turtles. We have red eared sliders so it's possible snappers are out there. We shoot them if we see them. I'm going to soak him and get another look. He hates me now
hit.gif

All great suggestions for my stubborn pond hating ducks
1f60a.png
There are a lot of turtles in the pond. I know we have snapping turtles in the area, we had one come up out of our hay field the other day we turned him back towards it although I'm sure he eventually made it to the water. Usually we just see them floating on the surface. There are lots of Hawks flying overhead through the day and vultures (less concerned about them) but they always are looking out for them. They have their own pool in their pen which they have a ball in even though our pekin can stand up in it now that they are grown. Their pen is at the top of the hill less than 100ft from the water but they don't usually go back up to their pen for water till early evening. Aside from all of that they went in the water today when me and the SO were up at the house. They were swimming around fine until someone freaks out about something and they all come hauling *** out of the water. Here's a picture of the pond.
And this is where they usually stay while they are out of their pen. (They get to free-range if we are home)

Someone was also talking about eclipsing and I had no idea what it was but my mallard Drake is eclipsing now!!! Excited to see how his colors come out!!!

group shot, wouldn't want to leave anyone out!
I can almost guarantee they are afraid they are born with these so they live a long and healthy life. If you can get all the snappers out they may eventually go in the pond. you might also think of planting some cover for them around the pond so when hawks etc are flying around they have somewhere to hide, another built in warning system they have to protect themselves. A small dock where they can swim under to hide might work but the pond needs some vegetation for hiding too.
It's a beautiful pond. and beautiful ducks. I am not sure about red sliders you might google and see if they pose a threat.

Yes, that's his skin. That is all that I can tell is something pulled his feathers out. I can't say yes or no on the snapping turtles. We have red eared sliders so it's possible snappers are out there. We shoot them if we see them. I'm going to soak him and get another look. He hates me now
hit.gif
He'll get over it you have to help him. Bless his heart it could have been alot worse a foot or chunk of flesh if it was a snapper. I believe I'd do some baiting to see what you have in there. You sure don't want mama ducks taking their ducklings down there snapping turtles will eat them.

Hello everyone
1f60a.png

I have a question about something sad which have happened to one of my muscovy and alot of eggs... The problem is that I have a Muscovy hen which have gone crazy on all other muscovy eggs and either thrown them out, eaten them, breaked them and even worse
1f631.png

The muscovy hen now only have 1 egg she's sitting on (dont know if the baby will come or not, have taken long...) and had like over 20 eggs at the beginning.

Could anyone please tell me what the problem may be?

Hello everyone
1f60a.png

I have a question about something sad which have happened to one of my muscovy and alot of eggs... The problem is that I have a Muscovy hen which have gone crazy on all other muscovy eggs and either thrown them out, eaten them, breaked them and even worse
1f631.png

The muscovy hen now only have 1 egg she's sitting on (dont know if the baby will come or not, have taken long...) and had like over 20 eggs at the beginning.

Could anyone please tell me what the problem may be?
Aw, sad indeed.

Could we back up? Did you see her do this? Is it one nest? Did it happen in a short time or over a few days? What has changed in the environment? Do ther animals have access to the nest? Is it her first time?

It's only one nest (actually she stole the nest from the other scovy hen, and hide the others eggs). This have happened in a month, and this is her first time laying/creating a egg nest. I moved the other scovies to a other place, since she is aggressive... She has food and water and dont really care about others rather than herself and bite any other scovy who tries to enter the house where her nest is lying. I feed her with bread and leftovers from dinner :/

Back
Top Bottom