The Duck Thread

Update: I just checked on her, she is still with us. I am surprised, actually looks better. I have given her electrolytes in a waterer right beside her, but she isn't eating. We'll see what tomorrow brings.
Prayers she pulls through. Keep us posted.

@MandyJ Did she have wounds that you cleaned up? They are amazing what they can overcome sure hope she does make it..

I am so sorry for your losses that is so heart breaking.
hugs.gif

I saw no wounds. She died in the night. I'm just really bummed out. Loosing that many so quickly!
I am so sorry. Were they all fenced in how the coyote get to them? We have coyote here and always worry they will scale the fence. That is so traumatic for you and for the girls left behind. Did your husband get the coyote/ Bobcat?

I am so sorry. Were they all fenced in how the coyote get to them? We have coyote here and always worry they will scale the fence. That is so traumatic for you and for the girls left behind. Did your husband get the coyote/ Bobcat?
if you can i would keep them in the enclosure for about a week and hopefully they will not come back for a while if they dont get food your encloser is covered on the top right ..so sorry for the lose we have lost some chickens to neighbors dogs very upsetting we have lost 2 ducks also makes you so mad

So today I nabbed a male duckling from the park fishing pond near my house. We've been going there and feeding them seed since they were little bitty. It was kind of funny because the people there were looking at me like I was crazy. I'm not positive what mix they are (parents are domestics that were obviously abandoned there this spring). I gave him a bath and checked him over for any mites. None were to be found so he is already in with my three female Rouens and chickens. He's already hanging out with his girls under their shade cover. I know I know most would quarantine but he had healthy looking poop and needed to be with other ducks or I think he would have just been constantly panicked. I'm super excited because I've been wanting a male and couldn't find one anywhere. And honestly I was not looking forward to having to raise day olds next spring. He is gorgeous.

Here is some photos of the batch of ducklings with their mom earlier this year.

Here are some pictures I just took.

Any idea their heritage? He has a much more upright posture than my rouens for sure.

Last edited:
Terrible last 2 weeks, all of a sudden my jumbo Pekin (5 months old) went missing, then one of the Cayuga went missing, figured we had a predator snatching them but the game camera wasn't showing anything. I penned all the ducks up for safety but had to let them out to hose out their enclosure, another Cayuga disappeared! Right under my nose!!!! The camera caught a picture! A coyote! I couldn't believe it came after them with me that close! Then today I go out and one of the Black Swedish ducks is down, she won't/can't walk, she isn't drinking or eating. I have separated her and given her water close but I don't expect she will live much longer.

THEN last night the camera picked up a bobcat!!!! So now I have 2 predators to worry about. My husband is sitting out on the porch now trying to shoot the coyote.

Bummer 2 weeks!!!  I am now down to 1 Black Swedish (5 months old) and 2 adult Pekins (2 years)!

:hit

I'm so sorry MandyJ. My heart goes out to you and your black sweedish. Best of luck for your husband.
Linda

Back
Top Bottom