The Duck Thread

Why in the world would you steal a duckling from a park?
@Cherib603 It's a domestic someone dumped why not most don't make it anyway at least this one has a much safer home where he'll be cared for. My hat goes off to @AmandaMBG

The fawn and white could be runner or have runner in her if this drake has a more upright stance.

where are the rest of the ducks now that they have grown up?

They and their moms are still at the same pond. There is around 5+ or so other domestic adults there as well.

@Cherib603
  It's a domestic someone dumped why not most don't make it anyway at least this one has a much safer home where he'll be cared for.  My hat goes off to @AmandaMBG

The fawn and white could be runner or have runner in her if this drake has a more upright stance.

where are the rest of the ducks now that they have grown up?

No we haven't gotten either. The ducks just disappeared! We assume that it snatched them out of the kiddie pool. The only ducks left (3) are the ones that didn't get into the pool much because the young ones (the one's snatched) were always in the pool and the "adults" couldn't lower themselves to bathe with babies! LOL From the position of the coyote on the game camera it was coming from the duck's kiddie pool. But we really have no positive answer, we haven't ever seen it.

As bad as this sounds, we are using the duck that passed as bait. I am having a hard time with that, she was a pet!! But so far it hasn't worked, we'll try again tomorrow.
This is what was on our game camera!

I think this is the coyote that got the birds (lower right of picture).

Then this!!

I just couldn't do it! I can't use my pet as bait!!! We'll just have to use something else! I know I am a wimp!!! LOL

This is what was on our game camera!

I think this is the coyote that got the birds (lower right of picture).

Then this!!

I just couldn't do it! I can't use my pet as bait!!! We'll just have to use something else! I know I am a wimp!!! LOL
No you are not a wimp.
hugs.gif

Those are some serious predators. I never let my flock outside of their fencing unless I am with them, we have both of those you posted plus many others. So your back to the 2 you started out with?
No, I have 3. I still have one of "the mob", the babies. I have the 2 adult Pekins and 1 Black Swedish. Sigh. Depressing! I was so hoping that since they were mostly grown that they would be safe...stupid me!

The ducks have an enclosure that I keep them in, but it is only 10 x 10. Lately when we let them out, they are so spooked that they are staying right by the house. Can't blame them! I have been staying with them while they are out. They seem to realize that they are safe as long as I am there, when I walk away, they follow. They have never done this before. They are in their enclosure by 2 since it is so hot outside, I just can't stay out. I have put a small doggie washing pool in their enclosure so they are ok, but they would prefer to be out! Oh, well!

We haven't seen anymore of the bobcat on the camera, we check each day. I wonder if he decided he couldn't get to them in their enclosure and left. I can hope!! Since I have been so diligent about keeping the ducks penned when we aren't outside, I haven't lost any. Maybe the coyote will leave to! But I WOULD love to shoot it, because it will return for an easy meal as soon as we let our guard down. I think it was grabbing them while they were in their kiddie pool asleep. The only ones that it didn't get are the ducks that tended to sleep on the ground, the babies (all except the black Swedish ducks) tended to sleep in their pool. One of the Black Swedish just died. Saw no wounds.

hit.gif
Sad! But that's life with ducks, I guess. But boy is it hard!!

Back
Top Bottom