The Duck Thread

Party time with the guests

Amazingly, Zazu (our first duck - we rescued her as a duckling) is getting along well with Lady and the ducklings. She is even visiting more frequently these days

Its a bad pic of the paddling pool - it needs a water change today...

Our new ducklings with a proud mum - she is surprisingly good at mothering, but she does keep me up most of the night with quacking.

Amazingly, Zazu (our first duck - we rescued her as a duckling) is getting along well with Lady and the ducklings. She is even visiting more frequently these days

Our new ducklings with a proud mum - she is surprisingly good at mothering, but she does keep me up most of the night with quacking.
love.gif

Wrapped Angel Wings pictures.

I used the wrap they use on horses legs. Its a bit wider than the athletic wrap.
Looks great
thumbsup.gif
That's the same stuff I use.

Well after a few days of being alone I let him out again yesterday supervised. I think he was just so happy to not he alone he was on his best behavior. A few times he started acting like he was going to fight and I locked him up for like a 5 min time out lol. I know silly but it seemed to work. After a few time outs he was just doing mild pecking order stuff instead of all out fighting. Im still keeping them seperate for now when unsupervised so I know he won't hurt the ducklings while I'm out there. But now he has my other drake for company and he is central to the other ducks and ducklings so they can all still see and talk to each other. Today when my daughter gets home I'm going to give him some more supervised time. I think here time is all we need here. I'm so relieved. He is 24 weeks and acting the teenager with raging hormones I think lol.
smile.png
Not silly at all. You are doing exactly the right thing
thumbsup.gif

Awwwh precious
love.gif

Hi. Wondering if anyone has experience or input on whether my Muscovies can hatch their eggs naturally during fall in Ny. They started laying 2 weeks ago. I was taking the eggs each day, but today they were actually still sitting on them when I got home and didn't even come out for dinner. I have 2 ducks. If they can hatch em, I will leave em. :)

Hi. Wondering if anyone has experience or input on whether my Muscovies can hatch their eggs naturally during fall in Ny. They started laying 2 weeks ago. I was taking the eggs each day, but today they were actually still sitting on them when I got home and didn't even come out for dinner. I have 2 ducks. If they can hatch em, I will leave em. :)
frow.gif

I would have to echo dotknott here, What I have done in the past is have my new ducks separate but in the same area and visible to the others. My ducks are free-ranging so I don't have to cut down the living area too much in order to give everyone ample space which helps. We were also lucky that initially, our new girl was so used to being with a flock that she wanted nothing more than to follow our drake around - he wanted some space. They got on well very quickly, and not to the point of "friends with benefits" too fast.

Regardless, if possible, I would personally have side-by-side ranging areas where they can see each other to avoid loneliness, but not get too frisky to keep your newbie safe.
But hey, I'm no expert, it's just worked for me in the past.
I have heard that method before, so I tried it for two weeks. It just got worse
barnie.gif
. I have put them in a creek together- she escaped his evil clutches, I tried letting them free range each afternoon together she would just stuff herself is small places where he cannot see her or get her and I have tried standing there and watching them at the start he didn't but now he just doesn't care!

I have heard that method before, so I tried it for two weeks. It just got worse:barnie . I have put them in a creek together- she escaped his evil clutches, I tried letting them free range each afternoon together she would just stuff herself is small places where he cannot see her or get her and I have tried standing there and watching them at the start he didn't but now he just doesn't care!

Can you put the 2 girls together and keep him separate for a while? Might try that for a bit if you can...

Looks great:thumbsup   That's the same stuff I use.

Not silly at all.  You are doing exactly the right thing:thumbsup

Awwwh precious:love

Thanks. Took him out again today and he is like a changed duck lol. We have a special needs drake that he still pecks at a bit but other then that he is being the sweetheart we remember. He is even being nice to the ducklings. I'm going to give it a week and if all goes well I'll let him stay out. :)

Back
Top Bottom