The Duck Thread

Is the red dot on Bubbles bill something I should be worried about? It wasn't there the day before.

My one Campell is having some fast breathing issues, and I'm not sure what to do. They're just at night, and I only notice them when she sits to sleep. She acts normal and super active while on her feet! Thanks!

My one Campell is having some fast breathing issues, and I'm not sure what to do. They're just at night, and I only notice them when she sits to sleep. She acts normal and super active while on her feet! Thanks!

I would start antibiotics just in case. One of our ducks was having a similar problem. Thought it was just because it was smoky from a nearby fire. She passed away a few days after. The one thing that taught me is ducks hide illness well. Once you start seeing symptoms it can be more serious then we realize..

I don't have the answers to your question but we also ordered a blue swedish and a golden 300 from metzer. We got a rouen as well. They are 4 weeks old now and so sweet and healthy. I'm really happy with our purchase.
smile.png
Thanks. Glad to hear yours are doing well. I have read some really good things about Metzers. I am wishing the days away until they arrive!

Someone please help! I have 4 ducks and a goose and the other day I went to let the ducks out in the morning and my Pekin didn't open her eyes. She opened her eyes a tiny bit and they were really foggy and goopy. Then later that day my runner duck was the same way. I separated them from the others and now the Pekin cant open her eyes at all and the runner can a little but they are still very foggy. Besides the eye thing they seem to be fine. I just don't know what to do. I can't take them into a vet either because the ones around me are SOOO expensive. Thanks in advance.

What has someone been spraying around the place?

Find what they are getting into - nasty water, grass or other plant that's had poisons (some people call it fertilizer and weed killer) put on it, could be something else.

Meanwhile, yes, a mild saline solution rinse four times a day, plus as much time in clean lukewarm water as possible.

A good duck vet is ideal . . . and whether or not we can get to one, giving them the help they need consistently gets most ducks through most health crises.

hugs.gif

Someone please help! I have 4 ducks and a goose and the other day I went to let the ducks out in the morning and my Pekin didn't open her eyes. She opened her eyes a tiny bit and they were really foggy and goopy. Then later that day my runner duck was the same way. I separated them from the others and now the Pekin cant open her eyes at all and the runner can a little but they are still very foggy. Besides the eye thing they seem to be fine. I just don't know what to do. I can't take them into a vet either because the ones around me are SOOO expensive. Thanks in advance.
Do they have water deep enough to submerge their entire heads? If not they will get an eye disease and can go blind. They have to be able to clean their eyes.

Hi I have a male Rouen duck he's 8 months old and has his green head and almost a month ago he fell into the sewer and he had oil all over him and I bathed him n he looks normal now but since I bathed him he doesn't have waterproof feathers anymore and many of his neck feathers have been falling off especially under his neck I don't know if it's molting for winter or if the oil did something to cause it. I've had him since he was a day old and he walks around with me everywhere so I'd hate to lose him
1f625.png
.... Any tips?

What kind of oil got on him? What did you use to remove the oil?

When feathers are damaged, sometimes the only thing to fix it is a good molt. So, keep watch, keep him warm enough, fed well, I would add a tablespoon of good quality dry cat kibble to his diet daily, and if you feel it is warranted, and possible, have a good duck vet check him over.

Also check his preen gland. It may have become injured somehow in all this. If so, dab a tiny bit of olive oil on it and massage it in.

Back
Top Bottom