The Duck Thread

We have a large dog house in our duck coop, our mallard and welshie girls each have a "nest" in each corner. With it getting cooler at night our pekin drake has been in there every morning "sitting" on one of the nests. Will him sitting on the nest affect the eggs? We are really hoping for our girls to start sitting...

Also our pekin takes up about half the house with his big butt, we have a welshie and 2 mallards as well. Do we need a bigger house for them or more housing? I haven't seen all 4 of them in there at one time...
At one time I had 7 ducks, 2 Pekin, 2 Black Swedish, 2 Cayugas and 1 Jumbo Pekin, When they were young, they could all stay in one house. We had a dog crate that we had taken the door off and put a lot of hay in it along with their nesting boxes. By the time they were adults, it was too crowded. The dog crate that we have is an Xlarge dog crate. As they got larger we also put in their enclosure a Rubbermaid tub that we had cut vent holes and a doorway in. I would say the tub is about 1.5 ft x 3 ft (approx.). They loved the box! They got to where they would all try to cram themselves into the tub. Of course they didn't all fit!

My advice is to get another "coop". They can be close in the cold weather, it is even preferred that they share body heat, but they shouldn't be climbing over each other.

Good luck!
Mandy

My ancona duck Persi was not acting herself yesterday. Her laying has been irregular since the days have become shorter (we don't use supplemental lighting in coop) and she lays every morning- every other usually. I noticed she was laying at different times and hadn't laid in a few days. She was less mobile staying in the coop and walked like she was favoring one side- her breathing seemed more labored as well. She was still eating and drinking. We brought her to our avian vet and on the way there she laid a very small (quail sized) egg (with no yolk). This has never happened before. The x-ray showed no other egg, foreign object or shell pieces. Her abdomen felt different, perhaps swollen but oviduct looks fine. The vet thinks she has egg yolk peritonitis and gave her a fluid skin injection and pain killer. Shes on meloxicam for inflammation for the next 7 days. My questions are: how do I gauge how serious this is? I saw that some recommended antibiotic use- I'm not sure why my vet didn't prescribe it and/or when it's appropriate? I need advise. My vet is only available twice a week and I want to stay on top of this. When does this become fatal- is it bacterial infection? Thanks for your help

Does anyone know what kind of duck the one is that looks like a Mallard is? He was born 3-1-15. I kinda think he is a Rouen, but not sure when I compare him to my APA book.

Thank you! I got him from Tractor Supply last s pring and they were just selling all breeds of ducklings in one big horse tank. My kids are in 4-H and would like to show him but didn't want to enter him as the wrong thing. He's a great boy - very friendly.

Hello I'm new to this website and I don't know how to post so excuse me if thi is not where I should post this. I have 3 lovely ducks 2 pekin and the other one I'm not sure. Well my older duck for the past 3 days I noticed that she (I believe is a girl) has been having problems walking. She walks and falls in her stomach, it looks like she lost her balance. Also when she tries to get up her legs look like they're shaking a bit and it takes her a while to get up. She makes attempts to follow my other 2 ducks but she can't keep up. She is 8-9 months old and 3 days ago I picked her up gently and I don't know if I felt an egg inside her. She has never layed eggs before so I don't know if this is a typical behavior or if something else might be wrong with her. She defenitely looks fine. Maybe just a little bit tired but other than that she still drinks water and eats. Please help me out I never owned ducks before, she is my first duck and i love her with all my
1f49e.png

Last edited:
Has she ever layed an egg before. Do you think it's her leg, foot or inside? Hopefully someone will help. I'm not sure.
If it were me I would confine her so she can rest and uou can see if she's drinking and eating properly. We use a wire dog cage within their cage so they can see each other off and on and at night. Mine free range but are penned each night.
Good luck! Hop this helped.
Welcome to BYC. Great place to get information.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom