The Duck Thread

Thankfully I have two ducks because my mallard headed down to the pond with the boys this morning. All 5 were under her when I came out, now they are under my welshie. But they are so adorably cute!!!
Well that is unusual but I guess she felt she had someone to keep the lil one warm. If she doesn't seem interested I'd just let your Welshie continue being mommy. Main thing is to keep those adorable lil ones safe and warm.
smile.png

Well that is unusual but I guess she felt she had someone to keep the lil one warm.  If she doesn't seem interested I'd just let your Welshie continue being mommy. Main thing is to keep those adorable lil ones safe and warm.  :)

She was never too committed to sitting on her eggs either so I'm not super surprised. My welshie I think will make a great mother so I'll let her do all the work I can!

@Gabby2016 Either plain niacin has to be plain or Food grade Brewers yeast. Not baking yeast but human food grade which can be bought at any health food store. Some feed stores carry animal grade BY too. if you go with plain niacin you need to mix 150 megs into 1 gal of water it will not hurt them all to be drinking this.

Or if you go with BY use 1 Tab to 1 cup of feed. till at least 10-12 weeks of age.

Very sorry to hear about Gabby

Just know your dogs have had duck so they are going to want to really get to these girls once you put them outside. A good sturdy safe pen and house is going to be needed. Hard ware wire[cloth] instead of chicken wire is much more secure.
@Miss Lydia Thanks for your help. We have several health food store in town and I have already called and found some BY. And yes, we are already making plans to improve our seperation of dog and ducks. The little ones are still in the brooder within the coop and the coop and brooder are secure at this time. The little ones won't be leaving the coop anytime soon and then well supervised until we get the new set up complete. Thanks again and I will let y'all know how things are going.

Hello everyone. I was wondering if his chest looking like this is normal?? It seems abnormally large today. He's also sort of stumbling a little and sleeping while standing up which is all new behavior. His brothers is nowhere near the size of him, I'm worried about him
1f614.png
I can't lose another baby.

Hello everyone. I was wondering if his chest looking like this is normal?? It seems abnormally large today. He's also sort of stumbling a little and sleeping while standing up which is all new behavior. His brothers is nowhere near the size of him, I'm worried about him
1f614.png
I can't lose another baby.
That is large for a little one. Is he eating a lot? What are you feeding? If it's anything other than a starter make sure you are also giving them chick grit.

My adorable babies this morning!

Right now they are locked in the dog house in their pen but they can't stay locked up safe forever unfortunately. We are going to separate our pen (10x20x6) so they stay separated from our drakes but one of them flies as does one of their moms (who sadly has no interest in them). Any suggestions on how to partition the pen so my flyers can't get to the babies? I'm not too worried about the female but the Drake will come in to try to mate the girls.

My adorable babies this morning!

Right now they are locked in the dog house in their pen but they can't stay locked up safe forever unfortunately. We are going to separate our pen (10x20x6) so they stay separated from our drakes but one of them flies as does one of their moms (who sadly has no interest in them). Any suggestions on how to partition the pen so my flyers can't get to the babies? I'm not too worried about the female but the Drake will come in to try to mate the girls.
They are adorable. Is mama Welshie taking good care of them? What I have done is used the plastic fencing [Lowes] it comes in dark green and orange. It works to keep my flock separate from the moms and babies. If the one mama Mallard isn't interested why not just keep her on the boys side as long as they don't brutalize her with over mating. That may keep the drakes on the other side from mom and babies.
I feed him dumor starter feed with quik chik in their water
@tonisummers How is your duckling doing?

Back
Top Bottom