The Duck Thread

@tonisummers
how is the little one looking?

They are adorable. Is mama Welshie taking good care of them?  What I have done is used the plastic fencing [Lowes] it comes in dark green and orange.  It works to keep my flock separate from the moms and babies.  If the one mama Mallard isn't interested why not just keep her on the boys side as long as they don't brutalize her with over mating.  That may keep the drakes on the other side from mom and babies. 
@tonisummers
   How is your duckling doing? 

He seems to be doing a lot better. I think he just filled himself up on water for some reason. His walking is better now as well. I don't understand it! Just happy he's doing well. Does anyone know when it's time to take the heating light out of their cage? Or should I wait until more adult feathers are there?

He seems to be doing a lot better. I think he just filled himself up on water for some reason. His walking is better now as well. I don't understand it! Just happy he's doing well. Does anyone know when it's time to take the heating light out of their cage? Or should I wait until more adult feathers are there?
That is great news. Are they hot [panting?] at 2 weeks temp in brooder should be around 80 and 5* lower each week there after. Make sure they can get out from under the heat lamp also. As they grow you may have to go to larger brooder.

That is great news. Are they hot [panting?] at 2 weeks temp in brooder should be around 80 and 5* lower each week there after. Make sure they can get out from under the heat lamp also. As they grow you may have to go to larger brooder.

Well I have one over 5 yrs old and he hasn't calmed down yet. Even my 11 yr old drake was "trying" to mate summer before last.
gig.gif
That's..... comforting! They really breed just as much as yearlings? Wow, he is old! What does he look like now?

gig.gif
That's..... comforting! They really breed just as much as yearlings? Wow, he is old! What does he look like now?
He passed away this past Feb a month before he was going to be 12. Well it may depend on the breed too My Muscovy is the one going on 6 and he isn't quite as aggressive with breeding as my Runner drake who is 6 months old lol But a close second.

Back
Top Bottom