The Duck Thread

This video was just taken, right? Looks like the swelling went down earlier, but now is more? Is it back to reducing again or no?

Oh, and that little snake move he did towards you wasn't an attack, per se... it's a domination attempt...
wink.png
Yeah the 28th. The first infected cheek is much smaller than before, and now the right cheek has the infection! Yeah it is reducing.

Oh really!?

Yeah the 28th. The first infected cheek is much smaller than before, and now the right cheek has the infection! Yeah it is reducing.

Oh really!?

Glad it is reducing... if you can, I would take him back for a checkup... just to check the other side too...

Yep... males and females will do that, especially when introducing new members to the flock or teenagers... it's their version of showing 'pecking order'... sometimes they vibrate rather violently right before they launch forward... their bill stays closed and they try to push the other duck down with their head and neck while shoving their chest into them...

ETA: if the new/younger duck submits and accepts that it is not a dominant, then that is as far as it goes... if it does not, then an actual scuffle may ensue...

Last edited:
Glad it is reducing... if you can, I would take him back for a checkup... just to check the other side too...

Yep... males and females will do that, especially when introducing new members to the flock or teenagers... it's their version of showing 'pecking order'... sometimes they vibrate rather violently right before they launch forward... their bill stays closed and they try to push the other duck down with their head and neck while shoving their chest into them...

ETA: if the new/younger duck submits and accepts that it is not a dominant, then that is as far as it goes... if it does not, then an actual scuffle may ensue...
I will ask my mom!
smile.png

Yeah Merlin does ALL of that! So he is trying to tell me he is more dominant than I? What should I do with this behavior? Should I just let him keep doing it? I think it's pretty funny.
big_smile.png

I will ask my mom!:)

Yeah Merlin does ALL of that! So he is trying to tell me he is more dominant than I? What should I do with this behavior? Should I just let him keep doing it? I think it's pretty funny.:D

Good idea... I just worry with infection being so close to the brain there... :)

As long as he doesn't escalate to biting, it's not a big deal... if it becomes an issue, just gently pin him down with your hand until he stops struggling any time he gets aggressive...

Calls imprint much easier than other ducks, so they tend to see themselves as part duck/part human... that's why they will do it to their humans sometimes... also, being 2 males and no girls might be another factor... once you have girls for them, that may stop... or it might escalate... just use your judgment... luckily since they're so small and round they're not as difficult as a large breed duck getting aggressive...

Good idea... I just worry with infection being so close to the brain there...
smile.png

As long as he doesn't escalate to biting, it's not a big deal... if it becomes an issue, just gently pin him down with your hand until he stops struggling any time he gets aggressive...

Calls imprint much easier than other ducks, so they tend to see themselves as part duck/part human... that's why they will do it to their humans sometimes... also, being 2 males and no girls might be another factor... once you have girls for them, that may stop... or it might escalate... just use your judgment... luckily since they're so small and round they're not as difficult as a large breed duck getting aggressive...
Okay!

Calls are such funny birds! Thank you for that information!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom