The Duck Thread

What is the ideal humidity to hatch Pekin eggs?

Thanks

Humidity is not an exact science and depends greatly on your local humidity, shell condition, etc. But usually 25-35% for the first 25 days, then 60-70% for the final 3 days works for most folks.

Hello:

I live in the suburbs near Phoenix, Arizona.  I have been raising American Seramas for many years.  I want to add some ducks to my flock.

Can ducks be kept with small bantam chickens?  Also, any suggestions on bantam duck breeds that would do well in Arizona?

I have been researching Ancona ducks, but I am concerned with the noise level.  I don't want to tick off the neighbors.  We live in a residential neighborhood.  Do you think a small flock of 5 to 6 Anconas would cause a neighborhood riot?

Thanks,
Jack

I'll throw my 2cents in too. Maybe check out black east indies. But I'm not so sure I'd get ducks in a residential neighborhood. They are pretty messy and will tear up your yard lol

I keep seramas also, and have black Swedish ducks and if my Seramas fly into my duck pen, they don't bother each other. But they are normally separated. Seramas are quick and I think they could easily escape from a duck, if they room to. But being so small, a duck could easily kill one, if it wanted to, and the conditions allowed.

On the other hand, I have a farm with some free range chickens and more Swedish ducks. The chickens sometimes chase the ducks, but the ducks just escape to the pond.

In other words, it's a crap shoot. You could try it, but be aware that it could go either way.

I'd also start with just 2-4 ducks, and see how it goes.

Humidity is not an exact science and depends greatly on your local humidity, shell condition, etc. But usually 25-35% for the first 25 days, then 60-70% for the final 3 days works for most folks.
I'll throw my 2cents in too. Maybe check out black east indies. But I'm not so sure I'd get ducks in a residential neighborhood. They are pretty messy and will tear up your yard lol

Hey, I live in a neighborhood that could be considered residential. Here's a simple solution to the problem stated above:
Keep the ducks in your back yard.
I kid you not lol. I know not everyone has a backyard, but if you do, use it! Also, @QuailCounsel , I would start with fewer ducks if you live in a residential neighborhood with neighbors that could get mad (Mine are pretty good about it). Three or four, maybe. The lawn will hold up more, and there will be less quacking in the morning.

There are people that mix their flocks with no problems and those that swear you should not. I have chickens, ducks and geese and keep them all apart from one another. Drakes can try to mate with chickens and can seriously injure them or kill them so I err on the side of caution and have pens for each species.

I have my ducks in with my silkies my drake doesn't bother them at all well they don't stay out of the water long enough to do anything

Hello:

I live in the suburbs near Phoenix, Arizona. I have been raising American Seramas for many years. I want to add some ducks to my flock.

Can ducks be kept with small bantam chickens? Also, any suggestions on bantam duck breeds that would do well in Arizona?

I have been researching Ancona ducks, but I am concerned with the noise level. I don't want to tick off the neighbors. We live in a residential neighborhood. Do you think a small flock of 5 to 6 Anconas would cause a neighborhood riot?

Thanks,
Jack

Assuming you aren't high altitude, you are in a pretty warm area. Mallard based ducks (which Anconas are) are happier below 85F and above that, ventilation, water and shade become increasingly important. Above 95F they become critical. My ducks are in a shaded pool all day if it is above 85F.

Taking this into account with your concern about noise I would seriously consider Muscovy ducks. They are a much quieter breed and are more heat tolerant (at least they are native to warmer areas). They are also available in a wide assortment of colors and many can look similar to an Ancona in their markings. Females are about the size of a typical domestic duck and Males are more large Pekin sized.

@Miss Lydia has had Muscovy ducks for years, and has recently gotten some Mallard based ducks so she could tell you a lot about the similarities and differences.

Last edited:
Female ducks are loud I have Runners/Buffs and they can be loud at times. I am not sure how loud Ancona's are you might visit the thread about them and talk to some that have them.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1058679/duck-breed-focus-ancona/80

@learycow would be a good one to talk to about noise
Your female Muskovies don't make much noise though, right? I know Opie doesn't...
lau.gif

Last edited:
No they don't quack unless I need to clip wings then maybe one quack.. They are called the quackless ducks
Cool, that's what I thought. I figured between Arizona temps and noise concerns, Muscovies would be my choice. Especially after having met yours
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom