The Duck Thread

Ah. :thumbsup Muscovies usually make amazing moms.

That's what I hear. I've actually have questions about it if you don't mind. I always have questions it seems. So far they make nests inside house in the corners. We are messing with nesting boxes but need to add sides I think. I also keep them in pen till like 9 to keep eggs in house and not in yard but what do I do if they try to nest outside or if they do nest in house. I have 18 ducks of 5 breeds in there will it be okay. And if I plan on selling or giving away some of the babies will she be upset. Do I have to wait till a certain age? They all seem to not mind me close to them and it's been getting better with the new girls so I don't want to mess it up. We're selling eggs and probably babies if we can but they are pretty much pets and I like having them like me. Lol.

That's what I hear. I've actually have questions about it if you don't mind. I always have questions it seems. So far they make nests inside house in the corners. We are messing with nesting boxes but need to add sides I think. I also keep them in pen till like 9 to keep eggs in house and not in yard but what do I do if they try to nest outside or if they do nest in house. I have 18 ducks of 5 breeds in there will it be okay. And if I plan on selling or giving away some of the babies will she be upset. Do I have to wait till a certain age? They all seem to not mind me close to them and it's been getting better with the new girls so I don't want to mess it up. We're selling eggs and probably babies if we can but they are pretty much pets and I like having them like me. Lol.

I don't think they'll try to nest outside if you keep them in till 9, I only keep mine in till 8 (then again mine aren't Muscovies.) as long as you keep a couple fake eggs in their nests I don't see why they'd nest outside. You can try to move them if they do nest outside but I don't have any experience there. They should be fine if they nest inside, just make sure you mark the eggs she sits on otherwise some of the other ducks my try to lay some in there and you'll get a staged hatch (which is not a good thing) you may have some try to co-brood which you may want to separate, some people leave them some people seperate. Just make sure you fence her off close to hatch so the others can't bother her, make sure she's got food and water. If you can tell which duck laid which egg that's great, Muscovies take 35 days and Mallard derived breeds (just about any other breed) take 28 so it'd be best not to set them on the same day, you can set the Muscovies and then a week later add the other so they all hatch around the same time though. I think as long as you leave her some babies she'll be fine, I don't think you'd have to wait longer than a day or two to take them.

Can someone explain the black duck thing? I'm very confused

Metzer's hatchery has a website. In it, they hide a small black duck every month, within different places of the site. If you click on it, you can enter a drawing for... I think a $40 certificate? I've never searched the website for the little black duck (Cough @Bills vs Beaks
tongue.png
) but I've found it for two months in a row.

If I get 2 Pekins and a welsh harlequin, all females as chicks will the Perkins pick on the welsh?

Metzer's hatchery has a website. In it, they hide a small black duck every month, within different places of the site. If you click on it, you can enter a drawing for... I think a $40 certificate? I've never searched the website for the little black duck (Cough @Bills vs Beaks
 :p ) but I've found it for two months in a row. 

Oh cool! Sounds like fun. :) thanks

Back
Top Bottom