The Duck Thread

Ah thanks for the replies! That to me sounds not too different from chickens, i could keep them penned for a week or so to allow them to get used to it before i let them loose i suppose

Hi! I have a question about my duckies. Now that the snow if finally starting to melt, the ducks are swimming in the large puddles next to their run. Im just worried that the water is too cold. I let them free range when its 20° or higher and to me the water from the puddles seems terribly cold. Just before it gets dark out I lock them up, and in their house they no longer have their winter heat lamp. Is it possible for the water to be too cold for them and cause frostbite or something else? Should I not let them swim for very long? Its finally staring to warm up yet we just had another huge snowstorm and it doesn't feel very warm out. They are rouens and one mallard is in the mix. Thanks so much!

Hi! I have a question about my duckies. Now that the snow if finally starting to melt, the ducks are swimming in the large puddles next to their run. Im just worried that the water is too cold. I let them free range when its 20° or higher and to me the water from the puddles seems terribly cold. Just before it gets dark out I lock them up, and in their house they no longer have their winter heat lamp. Is it possible for the water to be too cold for them and cause frostbite or something else? Should I not let them swim for very long? Its finally staring to warm up yet we just had another huge snowstorm and it doesn't feel very warm out. They are rouens and one mallard is in the mix. Thanks so much!
This all depends on age and if they are feathered in. if they aren't feathered in yet yes they can chill get sick and possibly die, but if they are feathered and have slowly been getting use to temps then they are most likely fine. over 5 weeks old ?

My 5 month Rouen started laying eggs every day. Then she stopped and did not have an egg for a few days. Then she had an egg it's very inconsistent. I got an egg this morning with lots of blood. I am concerned because we recently got a 2 month old khaki Campbell and they are sharing a cage, could this be stressing my Rouen out. I have had my Rouen since she was 2 weeks old she lived in the house in a large cage. Since we got the Campbell we had to put them out side on the inclosed porch. My Rouen thinks I am it's mother she follows my everywhere the
Campbell thinks the Rouen is it's mother. I am trying to get the ducks to be happy out side in a large coop, can this happen with my Rouen being so in love with me? Is this new duckling stressing her out?

This all depends on age and if they are feathered in. if they aren't feathered in yet yes they can chill get sick and possibly die, but if they are feathered and have slowly been getting use to temps then they are most likely fine. over 5 weeks old ?

Yes, they are going to be a year old in a few weeks. But the problem, which I forgot to add :rolleyes: , is that they're molting right now. I wasn't sure if they would be fine or not mid-molt. Thanks for the reply, this was my first winter with ducks and I've been very cautious. This also is my first molt between the ducks and even the chickens. Thank you again! :)

Hi everyone!

Fairly new to ducks. It's getting to be a pain to clean out their kiddie pool everyday, we were looking to put in a small pond without dropping a ton of money. I've read a bunch of articles on making one without a pump or filter and adding oxygenating plants and goldfish.

The ducks would probably eat all my plants as they've eaten all my grass, but would they eat the fish???
Didn't know if they were more vegetarian than chickens...

Also, mine are only 3 months old.
Though HUGE and fully feathered. I believe they are all girls as they are LOUD and none have the curly drake tail feathers.
When can I expect eggs from ducks?
I have White Pekin, Runners, & Swedish.

Back
Top Bottom