The Duck Thread

This, and at the bottom it says yahoo messender ICQ and my coop

Last edited:
One of my Runners is setting! She's the 1st of 9 to show any maternal urges (they are 16 months old). She's also the smallest, although she is always 1st at the feeder and waterer. I am reading of mixed experiences: separate her from the others, separate her from the drakes (3), when to separate her, leave her be . . . this is day 1 so I'm preparing a separate area for her to raise the ducklings safely from the other ducks. I am seeing some aggression from the drakes towards her which I find rather disturbing, so I may separate her as soon as the new area is finished. From what I gather, Runners are not the most protective moms. Assuming she hatches some babies, how long will they need to be separated from the rest of the flock? If I give them mash instead of poultry pellets, won't Mom eat it all 1st? She's got 4 eggs that I can see. Should she have water and food close to her or will she go to the watering and feeding stations enough to meet her needs? I'm kind of excited but mostly anxious at this point. Advice appreciated. I'm reading Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks but still have questions. Thanks

How exciting! We are still waiting on our first egg. I can understand your anxiety and you ask some good ?'s I don't know the answers but I am sure someone will respond soon. I'm looking forward to their replies also.

just wanted to give an update....just one of 6 duckling has the closed up nares and they don see, to be covered in anything like they were brfore so hopefully this ones nares will look like the other 5's nares soon and only 2 have wonky bills...they rest look normal.

all i did was give them plain chick crumbles(18% protein) instead of the mix(20%) of crumbles and left the vitamin/mineral and electrolyte powder out of their water

just wanted to give an update....just one of 6 duckling has the closed up nares and they don see, to be covered in anything like they were brfore so hopefully this ones nares will look like the other 5's nares soon and only 2 have wonky bills...they rest look normal.

all i did was give them plain chick crumbles(18% protein) instead of the mix(20%) of crumbles and left the vitamin/mineral and electrolyte powder out of their water

I was thinking about them earlier. Did you ever email the hatcheries?
So are you thinking it was an excess of protein?

I was thinking about them earlier. Did you ever email the hatcheries?
So are you thinking it was an excess of protein?
i dont know if it was excess protein as i gave different food and stopped the vitamin and electrolyte powder...so it could be either or both...and i have nearly 80lbs of the 20% and 10-15lbs on the 18% chick crumbles if it was a protein problem and i can go buy more crumbles right now...though i did read somewhere on here i could cut the protein with some old fashioned oats but i have no idea on how much to add

and i did email both but Metzer's said they have to have someone else look at the photos and then have that person email me and i have received no reply from Holderread yet

Last edited:
i dont know if it was excess protein as i gave different food and stopped the vitamin and electrolyte powder...so it could be either or both...are i have nearly 80lbs of the 20% and 10-15lbs on the 18% chick crumbles if it was a protein problem and i can go buy more crumbles right now

and i did email both but Metzer's said they have to have someone else look at the photos and then have that person email me and i have received no reply from Holderread yet 
please let us know what you find.

Ive kept chickens for years and started to contemplate the possibility of a few ducks. We have a 30ft pond in the garden. I think it would be lovely to see a two or three ducks on the pond but not entirely sure on the logistics of it all. Would I have to keep them penned in or can they have free range. Essentially the garden is open plan and so to pen them in i would have to fence off the whole pond area which would be very expensive and an eye saw . Any ideas?

Some duck keepers choose to keep their ducks in runs, some let them free range all the time, and some people free range during the day and put them up at night. Because I have a relatively small backyard, my ducks aren't ever penned up unless they have to be.

If you do decide to get ducks, remember to watch for predators, whether they free range or not. You can easily just build a small, predator-proof coop and put them in there at night and let them free range during the day. They will quickly get used to going in there every night if you make it a habit.

Back
Top Bottom