The Duck Thread

could someone tell me what i'm doing wrong? all 6 of my duckling bills dont quite match up like they should anymore and a couple of them the bottom part is almost longer then the top and their bills are soft and one if not both of their nares are plugged up and they have this crusty stuff at the corners of their mouths.

their in a round brooder thats 4ft in diameter and have a 100 watt bulb for warmth that does a good job and they have 2 waterers and they are able to dunk their heads in both to wash their faces. they have plain niacin in their water and are eating chick crumbles.

i change the shavings around the water twice a day and the shavings everywhere else once a day or every other day

could someone help figure out what i'm doing wrong?

could someone tell me what i'm doing wrong? all 6 of my duckling bills dont quite match up like they should anymore and a couple of them the bottom part is almost longer then the top and their bills are soft and one if not both of their nares are plugged up and they have this crusty stuff at the corners of their mouths.

their in a round brooder thats 4ft in diameter and have a 100 watt bulb for warmth that does a good job and they have 2 waterers and they are able to dunk their heads in both to wash their faces. they have plain niacin in their water and are eating chick crumbles.

i change the shavings around the water twice a day and the shavings everywhere else once a day or every other day

could someone help figure out what i'm doing wrong?
How old are they and can you post some pics? and what temp in the brooder?

First thing I thought of was a calcium-phosphorus-Vitamin D imbalance. I would change feed. Sometimes mistakes are made at the plant. Contact the manufacturer.

Meanwhile, are you giving a poultry multivitamin in the water once a week? I would start that.

only thing else feed wise is meatbird feed thats 22% protein everything else at my feed store sells is regular chicks starter and layer feed. and i have 10 chicken chicks and 5 adult bantam chickens eating this same food and their completely fine

i dont think my vets will see ducks...i can call and try but i dont think they'll see them

i have poly vi sol but no poultry specific vitamin drops

and they are acting normal and are very active and eat and drink normal

what do you guys suppose happened? i feel like such a failure

KuroKitsune,
hugs.gif
I do not see how this is anything you are doing. This is unusual.

Get the meat bird feed. Get a poultry vitamin mix. If you can get one with probiotics and electrolytes, great. Start putting the vitamins in the water once a week.

I think whatever happened is still happening and you can do something about it. But I am really blindfolded here - so I am offering my best guesses and gut feelings.

You, however, are there and can do something. Some things.

Storey's Guide includes stories of incorrectly formulated feed. It is not unheard of. Call the manufacturer.

only thing else feed wise is meatbird feed thats 22% protein everything else at my feed store sells is regular chicks starter and layer feed. and i have 10 chicken chicks and 5 adult bantam chickens eating this same food and their completely fine

i dont think my vets will see ducks...i can call and try but i dont think they'll see them

i have poly vi sol but no poultry specific vitamin drops

and they are acting normal and are very active and eat and drink normal

what do you guys suppose happened? i feel like such a failure

You are not a failure
hugs.gif
You are doing a great job to have noticed and be concerned! The first thought I had was some kind of allergy. (I'm thinking people symptoms here, Is meatbird feed medicated? Is it labeled for ducks? Maybe it has too much protein?? Amiga knows waaayyy more than I and I'm just throwing some things out for thought. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom