The Duck Thread

hello every one, am getting 3 ducks this year (well in the fall i hope) as well as 3 geese, so am super excited to get these birds (for pets/eggs) 
am getting 
1 khaki Campbell hen 
1 Indian runner hen 
and 1 Welsh harlequin hen. 

as well as 3 geese. this is my first time getting into water fowl as i only have had chickens but am happy for the journey ahead :) 
All of that is a cute variety of webbed burd.

ducks only lay in the Spring around April-June. 
if you want to incubate eggs it will take around 28 days unless you have a Muscovy which takes 32 days. 

My ducks lay year round but we also live in a pretty warm climate. I would assume most ducks would lay through october or so depending on climate again. We hatched ducklings right before thanksgiving last year!

I'm up to 3 hatched! One still in the half-shell and I can see a zip on another!!!!! Will get more pics after lunch.

Four hatched one halfway out and two more pips!!!!

hello every one, am getting 3 ducks this year (well in the fall i hope) as well as 3 geese, so am super excited to get these birds (for pets/eggs)
am getting
1 khaki Campbell hen
1 Indian runner hen
and 1 Welsh harlequin hen.

as well as 3 geese. this is my first time getting into water fowl as i only have had chickens but am happy for the journey ahead :)
Congrats, very exciting too. If you go up top of page to the learning center you can find alot of info on caring for geese and ducks and you'll be prepared once your little one arrive.

Yesterday, my poor Cuddles was having a hard time laying her egg. She was trying hard, but nothing was coming out!! Then, I gave her a nice soak in water, and comforted her. I gave her lots of rest, water, and love. I was scared she might become egg bound the next day. But, thank goodness. Look what I found! :D
jumpy.gif
I just gotta love my Saxony duck!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom