The Duck Thread

Maybe follow her next time and see where the nest is and get rid of it. About the only way to put a stop to it. And then put up fence when weather gets better. When I first got Muscovy's way back in 2004 I had to crawl under things to get to mine because leaving them out all night isn't even a thought here. So I put large rocks and hardware wire up where they couldn't crawl under, Now since they are fenced in there is no where to hide and they just lay in their houses. Sure makes it alot nicer. Amazing some of the places these girls can get under if they have a mind to. lol

Lol normallythis little Mallard is the best one for laying in the house. I even have them laying in the nesting boxesnow. She was moving pretty fast today to get wherever it is she wants to lay them. She's already back and will stay all day, sleep in pen, and then run off again in am. Going to go look again.

Kind of excited. Still working out better duck brooder. Really think I like the heating pad cave. Made a drip container. Letting it heat up and going to leave it on over night and check in am. Have back up heat lamp just in case. Should have it figured out before Thursday. What do you guys use for water. Have a normal chick waterer for the first little bit but need something else when they start growing and move into bigger brooder. Sour cream container I think I read works?

Hello. I'm new to this site. We had a duck last year that laid eggs next to our front porch and then abandoned them. We know this because my dad found the rotten eggs. She came back this year and we were very careful to leave her alone. We hadn't seen her all day and my mom peeked and noticed the eggs were broken. One of them was still intact. It's currently in an incubator with an auto turner. It's kind of dirty though and I was wondering if I should try to gently wash it with some water? I have no idea if it's alive or not but I want to try. Any info would be greatly appreciated as I have never done this before. :) tia

Last edited:
Kind of excited. Still working out better duck brooder. Really think I like the heating pad cave. Made a drip container. Letting it heat up and going to leave it on over night and check in am. Have back up heat lamp just in case. Should have it figured out before Thursday. What do you guys use for water. Have a normal chick waterer for the first little bit but need something else when they start growing and move into bigger brooder. Sour cream container I think I read works?
I sure hope everyone arrives safe and healthy this time. Are you getting the cold weather this weekend ? any way here is a pic of 1

LL
and another pic

900x900px-LL-a9e46bd5_wp_20160327_16_55_56_pro.jpeg

You lil guys will be so tiny so not sure if you won't have to give them a way to get up to these. at first. and you'll need to make the hole small enough they can't fall into them.

I like your water containment set up explain how you made it please.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom