The Duck Thread

Darn I was hoping they would quack or something soon to help me know lol. Oh well I guess I'll wait and see!
You never know. At about 8 weeks you should be able to hear the females, they are loud! BUT I had a hen that I was firmly convinced that she was a drake for a long time, her quack was very quiet. Then she started laying eggs (that's a definite sign! LOL). Now that she is about a year her quack is REALLY obnoxious and loud!

Good luck!

Hey guys. My girly hen has started acting a bit aggressive. I'm not sure why and i've never experienced this before. Not with a female anyways just my drakes. She does the head Bob alot but to the side not the front and she raises her hackle feathers like a chicken. She doesn't bother me but chases my daughter. She isnt broody adleast I haven't seen her sitting on any nest. Any suggestions what could cause this temperment change?

Hey guys. My girly hen has started acting a bit aggressive. I'm not sure why and i've never experienced this before. Not with a female anyways just my drakes. She does the head Bob alot but to the side not the front and she raises her hackle feathers like a chicken. She doesn't bother me but chases my daughter. She isnt broody adleast I haven't seen her sitting on any nest. Any suggestions what could cause this temperment change?
Hormones most likely . And she maybe getting geared up to go broody.

You don't say how old your dd is but start teaching her to stand up to your duck.For one thing don't let her run from the duck give her the broom or a long pole and when the duck comes towards her the broom or pole is to stop the duck not hit her. Your right there so you help if need be. The chase means the duck has the upper hand. If your dd is old enough she can turn the table and bend over and come towards the duck acting like she is going to pick her up that may make the duck turn tail and run. I do that with mine just playing with them they usually turn and walk away.

[/IMG][/IMG]

Can anyone tell me how old these little guys are? My dad bought them at tsc as a surprise because I've always wanted ducks, but I have no clue how old they are. I'm almost out of the starter chick feed (I mixed oats in there to lessen the protein as they grew) and just bought the grower/finisher feed. I'm not sure if that's what I should switch to. I'm having second thoughts since you're not supposed to start that until week 8. I've looked everywhere to try and find an age range on what these guys look like and I keep coming up short. I wear a size 8 women's shoe and they're the same size as my foot. Are probably mid calf height. HELP!
1f62b.png
1f629.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom