The Duck Thread

I think I'm developing a duck problem.....

Actually, their shorter necks are more the issue with hatching than the short bills... harder for them to get good leverage and tuck the head under and through to hit the shell , though short bills does add to it... the biggest issue I found out is major sensitivity of their sinuses and eyes to infections and watery issues, similar to extreme pug dogs and persian cats... plus their egg laying capabilities decline along with fertility...

No, not for eating, lol... way too much personality for that, not to mention the size...

Do you know if Bantam ducks have the same issues? Some day I think I'd like to breed East Indies and maybe snowy mallards. Just have pet quality right now but after having a really hard time finding them I think I could sell them around me.

Ya know, I was thinking the same thing about the shorter necks being more of a problem than the short bills! I just never said it because I thought maybe I was wrong. :oops:

Nope, you are correct! :D

I researched a lot more and found that out... it is a lot more the shorter necks than the bills...

Do you know if Bantam ducks have the same issues? Some day I think I'd like to breed East Indies and maybe snowy mallards. Just have pet quality right now but after having a really hard time finding them I think I could sell them around me.

Nope, BEI's and Mallards do not have those issues... it's strictly a Call duck trait, bred for extremely short necks, bills and rounded bodies...

Where did you get your ducklings from? Is the one bigger than the rest? What kinds are they?
:confused:

I don't really have experience with leg issues, mine have never had any issues... but it seems to be a bigger and more prolific issue this year... I'm suspecting a lot of Jumbos have been sent out... :/
Sounds good! I aim for 65% personally... just listen for tapping and/or peeping... good luck, you got this! :thumbsup

I received my ducklings from a private breeder in Norco, Ca...this is a pekin...I assume jumbo and it is the bigger of the pair...my other pekin and my 2 muscovies are fine ....this is my first time raising ducks and did as much research as possible...I just don't want it to suffer as they will be pets.

Back
Top Bottom