The Duck Thread

We have eight new little ducklings!!!
love.gif
love.gif

Ha!  I decided to take a peek again, put the eggs back, went to wash my hands, talked to my husband about the candling I did and what I saw, looked back in the bator, and there it was a pip!   I could see that little beak right up against the egg shell this time, the other one is now showing some shadow in the large air sac area. 
Yaay, can't wait to hear it.

Ravyn..I'm going to the silkie thread to share a photo of the black silkie I hatched from your eggs.  So pretty!

Awesome!!!!!

Kinda what I was thinking on that second look but I have zero experience.

I think so too.  I know several people have had luck with Jumbos as "Pets", but they really are a "meat" bird and are bred with a 6-8 week life expectancy in mind.  There are compromises that have to be made all the time by breeders.  Pekins are already bred for huge size (Nearly 4X the weight of their original Mallard roots) and Jumbos push that envelope even farther but I think long term health takes a back seat to processing weight in that case.

Same thing but opposite direction with Calls... I have one line that is super typey, but still not extreme as what I saw at a show in Knoxville... I prefer to keep mine like they are actually, after seeing firsthand the issues that extreme breeding causes... :(

Same thing but opposite direction with Calls... I have one line that is super typey, but still not extreme as what I saw at a show in Knoxville... I prefer to keep mine like they are actually, after seeing firsthand the issues that extreme breeding causes...
sad.png
I know the tiny bills give them problems breaking through the egg shells, but don't know other typical extreme downfalls.

Plus I would think lifespan is always part of the equation with calls since they are either pets or "decor". I hope NOBODY eats calls.
roll.png

Last edited:
I know the tiny bills give them problems breaking through the egg shells, but don't know other typical extreme downfalls.

Plus I would think lifespan is always part of the equation with calls since they are either pets or "decor".  I hope NOBODY eats calls. :rolleyes:

Actually, their shorter necks are more the issue with hatching than the short bills... harder for them to get good leverage and tuck the head under and through to hit the shell , though short bills does add to it... the biggest issue I found out is major sensitivity of their sinuses and eyes to infections and watery issues, similar to extreme pug dogs and persian cats... plus their egg laying capabilities decline along with fertility...

No, not for eating, lol... way too much personality for that, not to mention the size...

Actually, their shorter necks are more the issue with hatching than the short bills... harder for them to get good leverage and tuck the head under and through to hit the shell , though short bills does add to it... the biggest issue I found out is major sensitivity of their sinuses and eyes to infections and watery issues, similar to extreme pug dogs and persian cats... plus their egg laying capabilities decline along with fertility...

No, not for eating, lol... way too much personality for that, not to mention the size...
Ouch!!! Sinuses in birds is no minor matter!!!

Last edited:

Ya know, I was thinking the same thing about the shorter necks being more of a problem than the short bills! I just never said it because I thought maybe I was wrong. :oops:

Back
Top Bottom