The Duck Thread

Well they obviously haven't met Big Mama
gig.gif
She's my only duck to go broody so far and she's set and raised two clutches in her short 1 1/2 years. Also the only duck I fear
hide.gif
When she goes broody you better watch your back, she's chased me well over 50 feet from the coop multiple times.

Not saying all Pekins would be like that but every once in a while you get a good one.
I'm sure! But for every big mama, there's Snow -
0.jpg

Hello,
So I have a female black runner that is coming up on two years. I just got a chocolate runner baby & I don't know the sex yet. If it turns out to be a male, will I have to keep them separate? I'm not trying to mate them. Thank you!
This response is assuming you get a drake, otherwise all would be fine. Firstly if they are together, they will mate. This is unavoidable, and shouldn't be a problem. If you don't want ducklings, collect the eggs every day. The eggs being fertilized will not spoil them as a food. You will not be able to tell the difference. Even inspecting the egg, the only difference is that the blastoderm starts to look like a bulls-eye. If you only have 2 ducks, many times they can be a reasonable couple. Just keep an eye on them. If your male is overly aggressive, it may stress or even hurt your girl from over mating. In that case you may have to separate them at least temporarily.

She's so cute. I love her yellows.
That's an old pic, they're not yellow anymore.
I'm sure! But for every big mama, there's Snow - This response is assuming you get a drake, otherwise all would be fine. Firstly if they are together, they will mate. This is unavoidable, and shouldn't be a problem. If you don't want ducklings, collect the eggs every day. The eggs being fertilized will not spoil them as a food. You will not be able to tell the difference. Even inspecting the egg, the only difference is that the blastoderm starts to look like a bulls-eye. If you only have 2 ducks, many times they can be a reasonable couple. Just keep an eye on them. If your male is overly aggressive, it may stress or even hurt your girl from over mating. In that case you may have to separate them at least temporarily.
Lol, I'm sure it's closer to 1:20 . :gig

The only problem is I have no idea where to get another one. My neighbor gave me this one. And I doubt the person I'm living with will let me get another one. Is there any other advice you can give me

This is why I got a buddy for the one and only that hatched for me.  The get lonely..they are babies.  Even if you can find an older chick, they would probably be fine.  Company! 

The only problem is I have no idea where to get another one. My neighbor gave me this one. And I doubt the person I'm living with will let me get another one. Is there any other advice you can give me

Get a soft stuffed animal for it to cuddle up to... an unbreakable mirror in the brooder helps too, though one member found a picture of her worked better since her singleton was imprinted on her... and check out this thread for duckling basics...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings

Last edited:
Does anyone have any good ideas about keeping their water reasonably clean? My two runner ducklings are demolishing it within 5 minutes and I'm having to refill and clean it 3 times a day. Do I just keep doing that or is there something that can be done? This is my first experience with ducks
1f60a.png

Does anyone have any good ideas about keeping their water reasonably clean? My two runner ducklings are demolishing it within 5 minutes and I'm having to refill and clean it 3 times a day. Do I just keep doing that or is there something that can be done? This is my first experience with ducks
1f60a.png

I use kiddie pools. They take longer to muddy up ;)
But that's for adult ducks... how old are your ducklings?

1f60a.png
Ducklings will get a lot of their food in their water which makes it look disgusting but is not going to hurt them. As long as they get fresh water at least once per day, it should be fine. Now if your problem is with them throwing water all over the place and emptying out the container, there are several designs that can limit that on the forum. Your goal is to allow them to wash their eyes and nares in the water, but not throw it all over the brooder. Typically these designs are based on something like a bottle with a hole in the side big enough for them to stick their whole head in and not get caught but small enough that they won't climb inside and get stuck. Then the water is a bit below the hole so that they can put their bill in the hole and drink or put their head in the hole and dunk it. You want it to be cheap (like a soda bottle) because as they grow, you will need to remake and rethink it. Once they get about a month old, you can make one that they can use with small mods for the rest of their brooding time. Here is the final one I used: it was from a 5 gallon coleslaw bucket I got free from a restaurant. But the same idea works with smaller containers when they are younger.

That's an old pic, they're not yellow anymore.
Lol, I'm sure it's closer to 1:20 .
gig.gif
Well the other 19 probably aren't quite as bad as Snow was. They might carelessly lay the egg any old place, but they don't come back in a couple minutes and kick a hole in the shell!!!
gig.gif

My duckling kinda like cries but it's a soft cry when she's sleeping on me sometimes. What does this mean? Also when I'm holding her and out her back in her area she sleeps and stuff she cries REALLY loud untill I pick her up. Help!

Back
Top Bottom