The Duck Thread

It's a perfect size, and very durable it's made by Fisher-Price and honestly I don't think that you can get them anymore it's about 20 years old!

OK I have a lot of questions: I want ducks... Only like 2 or three... Or is 4 better lol? How big of coop would that many need? And how close to our house would you recommend we build the pond ? It would only be 2' deep. ( town rules). Or would just a preformed pond be best?

OK I have a lot of questions: I want ducks... Only like 2 or three... Or is 4 better lol? How big of coop would that many need? And how close to our house would you recommend we build the pond ? It would only be 2' deep. ( town rules). Or would just a preformed pond be best?

I think three or four is best, but it depends on your budget. More ducks eat more feed. As long as you have more than one, there shouldn't be any issues.

We built a pond. A pre-made tub/pool would probably be easier, but also more expensive. Personally, I prefer making my own pond. But we're also using the pond in our aquaponics system.

Our pond is only like two feet from the house, but we live in a suburban house. I would suggest somewhere with partial sunlight and partial shade, if you can. If not, it's not a big deal.

One thing to remember is that even though they'll have a pond, it might be nice to provide extra drinking water. I refill two buckets and two very large bowls a day. They are *always* dirty, even though they can't even stick their bodies in there. Ducks need water that's deep enough for them to clean out their nares. It's in no way a requirement to have extra drinking water, just a personal choice. They won't die or suffer from not having extra water (as long as the pool is relatively clean) so again, not a requirement or necessity.

I can't remember exactly, but I think the general rule of thumb is 1-2 sq. ft. per bird as long as they get out of the coop daily. My ducks don't have a coop yet; we just use my grandpa's motorcycle trailer if it's too cold. The ducks have several bushes and trees to hide under, plus underneath the trailer, plus under the deck, under the shed, and the back of the house which is shaded by two large oak trees and at least 10* cooler than the sunny part of the yard. Overall, even without a coop, we have a pretty nice set up, and the ducks are all healthy.

We are going to build a coop, it just isn't a necessity in our case because we have adequate shelter from the elements.

A few ducks shouldn't be too bad, but remember, of they aren't going to free range on a large property, they will eat a lot. The good thing about ducks is that they forage A LOT(depending on the breed, but in general, ducks are amazing foragers/hunters). If you have a very large area fod the ducks to free range, chances are, you won't need a lot of feed. Since we only have a backyard (a good sized backyard, but still) we have to feed them at least once a day - though we usually feed 2-3x per day. I'd guess they eat about 2-6 cups a day. They're actually lookin' a bit chunky, lol, so I may cut back. It's spring/summer time, so they'll be foraging a lot!

Hope I was helpful. Everything I said was just my opinion based on the little I know, so I could be wrong about some things.

I think three or four is best, but it depends on your budget. More ducks eat more feed. As long as you have more than one, there shouldn't be any issues.

We built a pond. A pre-made tub/pool would probably be easier, but also more expensive. Personally, I prefer making my own pond. But we're also using the pond in our aquaponics system.

Our pond is only like two feet from the house, but we live in a suburban house. I would suggest somewhere with partial sunlight and partial shade, if you can. If not, it's not a big deal.

One thing to remember is that even though they'll have a pond, it might be nice to provide extra drinking water. I refill two buckets and two very large bowls a day. They are *always* dirty, even though they can't even stick their bodies in there. Ducks need water that's deep enough for them to clean out their nares. It's in no way a requirement to have extra drinking water, just a personal choice. They won't die or suffer from not having extra water (as long as the pool is relatively clean) so again, not a requirement or necessity.

I can't remember exactly, but I think the general rule of thumb is 1-2 sq. ft. per bird as long as they get out of the coop daily. My ducks don't have a coop yet; we just use my grandpa's motorcycle trailer if it's too cold. The ducks have several bushes and trees to hide under, plus underneath the trailer, plus under the deck, under the shed, and the back of the house which is shaded by two large oak trees and at least 10* cooler than the sunny part of the yard. Overall, even without a coop, we have a pretty nice set up, and the ducks are all healthy.

We are going to build a coop, it just isn't a necessity in our case because we have adequate shelter from the elements.

A few ducks shouldn't be too bad, but remember, of they aren't going to free range on a large property, they will eat a lot. The good thing about ducks is that they forage A LOT(depending on the breed, but in general, ducks are amazing foragers/hunters). If you have a very large area fod the ducks to free range, chances are, you won't need a lot of feed. Since we only have a backyard (a good sized backyard, but still) we have to feed them at least once a day - though we usually feed 2-3x per day. I'd guess they eat about 2-6 cups a day. They're actually lookin' a bit chunky, lol, so I may cut back. It's spring/summer time, so they'll be foraging a lot!

Hope I was helpful. Everything I said was just my opinion based on the little I know, so I could be wrong about some things.
Yes thank you very helpful. I have plenty of room for them to roam. We live in the wood on the 100+ acre family farm. Couple more questions.... What do I do for them in the winter? I live in New York.

New to ducks here. 5 Blue Swedish. I've been mixing their crumbles with water to make a mash but also they have a pool. Will mixing their feed be a problem for them. I do have a large yard to range but for now I keep them in a fenced in part of the yard. 50 X 100 maybe. They're in with the chickens right now.

I'm in NY as you can see. Any winter advice? I cover the chickens run with plastic so they can go out in the winter time. I have other chickens who just get a snowblowed area and they seem fine with that.

Question: For those who sell duck eggs to eat...
Do you sell them by the dozen or half dozen and what is the going rate?
I would assume it'd be slightly higher than chicken since you get less eggs per bird, they are larger, & it's not like you can go in the grocery store and buy them...

help! i got these 2 cuties froma friend who purchased but couldnt keep them
i know absolutely nothing about ducks.
can someone tell me what breeds they are and how to sex them??
thanks!

help! i got these 2 cuties froma friend who purchased but couldnt keep them
i know absolutely nothing about ducks.
can someone tell me what breeds they are and how to sex them??
thanks!
Can't see the face real well on the dark one but if one eye strip Mallard, 2 Rouen the light one looks like it maybe Buff Orpington since it's not completely yellow just guessing on that one, as far as sexing you'll have to wait like the rest of us either by voice sexing or [curled tail feather which means drake] and loud quacking which means ducks. also raspy quacking means drake and all this starts around 12 weeks on. They sure are cute do you know where they got them?

Back
Top Bottom