The Duck Thread

20170525_175818.jpg
not ducklings but cute anyway!

IMG_3504.JPG I about had a heart attack earlier this afternoon. My smallest ducklings, 3 magpies and a Cayuga, were outside in a baby pool brooder, with tall hardware cloth around it so they couldn't escape. I peek out the window and my three legged pitty, named Ducky (of course), is INSIDE the baby pool with the four ducklings, licking them :barnie.

Miraculously no one was squished, just wet. Not sure if she was mothering them or getting a pre-taste before chomping them. She is rock solid poultry trained so I'm guessing the former.

Still not sure how she got in there in the first place as she is missing one of her hind legs and can't jump.

Well update on my broodies. 12 out of 17 culvert eggs have externally pipped! All 12 KC eggs seem to progressing. One looks really dark but its still moving. My Peking spent 2nd entire day on nest so I'll start counting. She has like 20 eggs though. Muscovy in coop is doing well and should hatch Monday I think. Figuring out protection for her tomorrow. And I have a few eggs showing up tomorrow for my other Muscovy that pushed them all out to her sides. We'll try again and see what happens. Had a rough day trying to save the last of Bantam eggs so looking forward to waking up to ducklings hopefully !

Back
Top Bottom