The Duck Thread

Okay I need some help. The kc lost one of their babies today. So they only have one between the two. I have the one I hatched but its a lot smaller then the other one and they dont seem very interested in her. My options are
1. Try again tonight to give them the one I hatched and leave them penned up so they might have a bettee shot and hope the girls dont kill the one I hatched over night.
2. Take both ducklings inside leaving them without any. I'm not sure how they react to that. First time. They are crazy right now and if they'll snap out of mom mode quickly I wouldn't be upset but I feel like the meanest person on earth.
3. Keep the duckling I hatched inside and grab a Muscovy baby to put with her from one of my girls with over 10 of them. And leave the one baby and two moms, I swear I had a conversation like this with my kids when they were younger, locked in pen and hope the girls raise it together.
4. Sell both babies and let moms move on.

Please help me pick. I really don't know what to do.

Also will one might of medicated food burt the duckling? I thought hed be out with mom before I had to worry about feeding him and didnt get out of work in time to grab non medicated

Also will one might of medicated food burt the duckling? I thought hed be out with mom before I had to worry about feeding him and didnt get out of work in time to grab non medicated

I don't know about your first question- but I asked the duck "experts" about medicated feed last week and apparently it is now safe for ducklings- they took out something or lowered the amount...so the baby should be fine!

If it were me I would take the baby from the KCs. I would probably feel awful too, but I would feel worse if something happened to the little one. Either way, I hope they get their act together and it all works out!

20170610_100802.jpg

I need some advice
You see My duck laid a few eggs in my chickens nest and she got Broody.
Now she has seven chicken eggs and two duck eggs
She has been sitting on the nest for 21 days now and none have externally pipped I'm worried
I figured the chicks would be fine but the ducks would die cause she would abandon them. I incubated them all two days ago and only one chick looked like it would hatch in the next few days
I quickly whipped up a incubator out of a cardboard box Styrofoam and a light bulb, then I realized it got way to hot. It was reaching temps of 116
Then I got a small fan and cut a hole so that it fit here are some pics
I am new to ducks but have some opinions, here. My duck book advised putting Pekin eggs under a broody hen. I did and a better mom I could not have found. I have noticed that ducks will eat any animal they can swallow or drown it in the pool. I was VERY careful to keep the ducklings away from the grown ducks. But that chicken mom was pretty fierce. All the eggs I put under her hatched and the ducklings are very healthy at 6 weeks. Finding and adapting food was a challenge, though. I used chick starter with brewer's yeast added in the beginning but got them onto duckling developer when they got a bit older.

Back
Top Bottom