The Duck Thread

I have a quacker at 5 weeks. Early bloomer, eh?
My Pekin was starting to quack occasionally at 4 weeks and lost all peep by 5 weeks. My runners took closer to 7 and my mallard who is quietest of my girls so far was older still. I have Cayugas that are about 4 weeks that have occasional quack, mostly when picked up or startled. And a mystery one also 4 weeks that quacks...so varies from breed to breed. Also, seemed like my male runners took awhile to lose their peep but may just be because they're quiet lil voices.

I know now is not a good time to integrate my young ducks with my older ones, but I'm wondering about introducing my newest babies when they are 2-3 weeks with the ones that are now 3.5 weeks. There will be a 3 to 4 weeks difference in age and since neither will be mature I would like opinions on starting integration with them. And when fully mature after mating season integrating with established flock. This way younger ones will already be together and only one group going into larger flock instead of 2.

As soon as you can, start putting the youngest ones near the younger ones to 'get to know' each other... increase the time each day they get time around each other... when going to introduce them, if possible, make a new area for them and move the younger ones into it first... this creates 'neutral territory' that the older ones wouldn't have established as 'theirs' yet... or free range them in short, supervised times... free ranging is my friend for integrations, lol...

1) Hey, guys! I wanted to buy a duck walking harness. I found one, and it is from Hen Holster. Here is the site: http://www.hensaver.com/Hen-Holster.html
I wanted to buy the wrap around style.
I have two Saxony ducks, one male and one female. They are about 3 years. Are they considered large ducks (standard size), or XL ducks (large, like heavy roosters)?
They are both around 5-8 lbs. Please let me know.

2) And, I saw online Hamilton Rooster Adjustable Harnesses. Here is the link:https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M67Z9C...ter+harness&pd_rd_r=QJVCRXJYMF5S0JHDYR90&th=1

The biggest size is Medium/ Rooster. Will that fit my two Saxonies? However it is adjustable. And one review said it fit their duck.
Which would be the better buy? And, will they fit?

Sorry guys for all the questions, but it's my first time and I'm still new with ducks. Thank you!

Last edited:
Does anyone know if they're male or female by the picture.

Attachments

• IMG_9823.JPG
    IMG_9823.JPG
    399.9 KB · Views: 9
I have a ducklings about 5 weeks old. How do you tell difference in a drooping wing from weight of new feathers coming in and developing angel wing? It isn't twisted outward and he can still flap it correctly but not as vigorously as his flock mates, but it is dropped down from weight of quills on new feathers. He pulls it back in correct position all the time but falls right back down. Anything I can do to help so he doesn't develop angel wing?

Back
Top Bottom