The Duck Thread

My ducks are driving me crazy. Lol. I baited the nest box with 6 eggs, Daisy laid her egg in it but left, Ebony laid else where so hasn't even seen the fake eggs yet. I heard a commotion from the box and Ivory and Loudmouth are fighting over the nest! Neither of those 2 has laid a single egg yet! What the heck is going on. I thought a duck, chicken, or goose would only go broody After laying for a while. These 2 ladies are going broody before laying??? What can I do to get the right duck broody? If she tries to go in there now, Ivory and Loudmouth will fight for the nest. Help guys, before my lunatic ducks drive me to the insane assylum.

My ducks are driving me crazy. Lol. I baited the nest box with 6 eggs, Daisy laid her egg in it but left, Ebony laid else where so hasn't even seen the fake eggs yet. I heard a commotion from the box and Ivory and Loudmouth are fighting over the nest! Neither of those 2 has laid a single egg yet! What the heck is going on. I thought a duck, chicken, or goose would only go broody After laying for a while. These 2 ladies are going broody before laying??? What can I do to get the right duck broody? If she tries to go in there now, Ivory and Loudmouth will fight for the nest. Help guys, before my lunatic ducks drive me to the insane assylum.
You cannot make a duck go broody, but you can give them some options like more safe nesting sites. I just use scrap pieces of lumber make 2 or 3 places like this and I bet you get some takers.
200x200px-ZC-68214450_008.jpeg
200x200px-ZC-1f8d7527_Broodys2014004.jpeg

Last edited:
My goose and duck co-hatched duck and turkey eggs. Total hatch was 6 duck and 2 turkey. I took the turkeys and placed them in a brooder. 4 of the ducks hatched Monday and 2 yesterday. I put a waterer and chick starter in their house. The duck will leave and go to the creek. The goose stays back with the ducklings. She is the #1 Mama. When will she bring them out and take them to water. Will the Mama's keep the cats and other birds from messing with the babies. My cats don't bother the chickens, but haven't been around any just days old

You cannot make a duck go broody, but you can give them some options like more safe nesting sites. I just use scrap pieces of lumber make 2 or 3 places like this and I bet you get some takers.
200x200px-ZC-68214450_008.jpeg
200x200px-ZC-1f8d7527_Broodys2014004.jpeg
I have multiple nest boxes, but they all like to use the same 1. Now that Ivory and Loudmouth have started sitting on the baited nest They are defending it from Daisy and Ebony. Looks like I get to raise the ducklings for Ebony myself. I'll take the eggs out as soon as the 2 would be moms come out to eat and drink. Is it normal for ducks who haven't even reached point of lay to go broody? That really has me scratching my head. I was counting on Ebony or Daisy taking the bait, as they are the only 2 laying females here. So I had a 50/50 shot of getting Ebony broody.

Last edited:
I've never had a duck go broody that hadn't already started to lay, sometimes it's just a couple of eggs when they do though. Maybe those 2 are getting ready to lay and are feeling the urge.

I have not been able to get my ducks to eat boiled eggs but I do give my layers crushed egg shell the dogs or us get the inside. :)    Never had an egg eater. 

thanks. Will givem the shells now. Perhaps there should be a separate thread for duck food. We could share info about different foods. I like too give mine a variety.

I've never had a duck go broody that hadn't already started to lay, sometimes it's just a couple of eggs when they do though. Maybe those 2 are getting ready to lay and are feeling the urge. 

The white cresteds are all supposed to be the same age. And 1 of those girls is laying. I have seen Howard mount and breed them all, just no eggs from 2 of them yet.

Back
Top Bottom