The Duck Thread

These actually have a little less space in their house than the section of the back porch that was theirs for weeks. They would watch us through the French doors and just kind of knew their routine. I guess I worry,too, since their routine is changing, how they will take it. Thanks.

My experience with ducks indicates they are quite adaptable. I think we owners worry more than ducks. I got adult muscovies and they acclimated after a couple of weeks and were laying eggs right away. Then, I moved pekins out in the pen next to the muscovies and they all had to get used to each other. The muscovies free ranged and the pekins stayed in the pen. Now, they all free range. The pekins stake out the muscovy house and the mucsovies stake out the pekin house during the daytime. They hunt bugs and sit under bushes in the shade together. They all know to come back to the pens if storms approach. They really do adapt very easily.

Thank you. That does make me feel better. I just went out back to listen for them, but they were quiet. I have three solar lights around the outside of the wire part so I can see from here, plus I have the flood lights on the outside of our house.
Glad to hear that yours come when a storm comes. Hope mine will do the same. In a couple more weeks, I will let them swim in our pond behind our yard, and I worried that they might not come back to their duck house at night. They LOVE their baby pool every day now! Will swim under for a bit. Thanks, again!

We had a surprise visit about an hour ago from a pair of black bellied whistling ducks. They landed in my yardand cause my entire flock to rush over and meet the strangers. When the pair took off, my flock watched with envy, lol. I hope they come back for another visit, they were awfully pretty and my sons and I enjoyed watching them.

We had a surprise visit about an hour ago from a pair of black bellied whistling ducks. They landed in my yardand cause my entire flock to rush over and meet the strangers. When the pair took off, my flock watched with envy, lol. I hope they come back for another visit, they were awfully pretty and my sons and I enjoyed watching them.

They are checking your place out, they will prob come back with all the family and move in!:yiipchick

They are checking your place out, they will prob come back with all the family and move in!:yiipchick

Lol, I don't know about moving in. We don't have a pond, just 4 kiddie pools, but they did check things out before taking off. I think they got overwhelmed by 26 chickens, 8 geese, and 7 ducks all rushing over to say hi, no to mention my sons and I watching from the front porch of the house. I would love for them to bring the family over for another visit though. If I see them again I will throw some food out to them. Lol.

They sound like a pretty duck .

Last edited:
Pics. This was a few weeks ago so Ill try to get more today.

Back
Top Bottom