The Duck Thread

How can I build a good coop that protects the ducks from predators?

I have 10 ducks now. We keep them in a dog pin at night and let them roam the yard during the day. we are building a pool ( for some reason the ducks will not go in our pond anymore. two of our ducks have been killed in the pond sadly :( we have found both headless and still have no answer) for our ducks, a coop, and nesting baskets. The dog pin gives them enough room to fly and walk around. We have a roof on top made out of wood planks and chicken wire to keep predators out and it's working great so far !

That sounds similar to what we have for a set up. We built a duck house out of scrap lumber and a picket fence. It is inside a dog run, both get closed at night. I also have two random tall PVC pipes one one side holding a canopy top that we had. It covers the dog run, sort of, for them. Then we have some fencing around for them to roam in. We just got our ducks so I wanted them to get used to their new home before I let them out to free range. I think I paid a total of $25 for everything for ours. We have Ancona's.

What kind of ducks do you have ....
They are rouens male and female

Neat. We just have the two ducks for now. I don't know if I have the hear to disrupt their little world with more. Down the road, after these two, I'd like to get a larger group of ducks. I wasn't sure how they would turn out so I kept it small, but next time around it's go big or go home :)

Neat.  We just have the two ducks for now.  I don't know if I have the hear to disrupt their little world with more.  Down the road, after these two, I'd like to get a larger group of ducks.  I wasn't sure how they would turn out so I kept it small, but next time around it's go big or go home :)
Nice they really are sweet(but messy) lol. we started with thirteen ducklings and now we are nearing 20 ducks when these babies hatch.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom