The Duck Thread

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ZakoHero, Jan 17, 2013.

1. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

You can use brewers yeast, it's at health food stores. There is also animal grade yeast likely at feed stores or farm co-ops. A nice size bag of yeast from my health food store was $3 or so. Not sure where else you can get B vitamins like niacin. Hope this helps.

2. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Yes you can but you will want to also feed them a hard boiled egg to keep up the niacin also Turkey Grow works great but by week 4 of age flock raiser will work wonders .......

3. Americano Blue

Americano Blue Mush on!

Apr 14, 2014
    Hello Spring
    My Coop
    Can i use a duck egg?

4. gander007

5. Americano Blue

Americano Blue Mush on!

Apr 14, 2014
    Hello Spring
    My Coop
    ok thanks

6. MommaHenn

MommaHenn Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2014
    Solgar put's out Brewer's Yeast, which is a great product to add in powder form to your duckling feed if you are looking to supplement niacin. You can feed your duckling non-medicated chick feed. Manna pro makes a nice product, but you must add a little sprinkle of the brewer's yeast for the niacin. Solgar products are sold at your local vitamin Shoppe. I had a hard time finding definite answers on when to change over the food to a gamebird (higher protein) feed. Some sources say 2 weeks, some 4. In the event that you have chicks in the same area, the rule of thumb is to keep the non-medicated chick starter available for all.
    Hope this helps.

7. gander007

I agree with that .......

8. Americano Blue

Americano Blue Mush on!

Apr 14, 2014
    Hello Spring
    My Coop
    is medicated chick feed bad for them?

9. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

Because ducks eat more than chickens they get to much of the medication.

10. ringaring

ringaring Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2013
    In Portland OR area, duck eggs range from $5 dz direct from the farm up to $1 an egg via grocers and supermarkets. When I was in Vermont, I couldn't give them away! Check local farms for your area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by