The Duck Thread

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ZakoHero, Jan 17, 2013.

1. RowJimmy1868

RowJimmy1868 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2015
    Awesome thanks! The ponds aren't that far apart. Just across a dirt road in another field so they wouldn't be leaving my view. But thanks for the input.

1 person likes this.
  2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Just putting in a word here to remind about safety from predators . . . I really encourage people to think before they get ducks how they will protect them.

1 person likes this.
  3. buff goose guy

buff goose guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2014
    Mississippi Y'all
    x2

4. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

X3
    And thanks for the help with watering my ducklings guys! Day 12 of 28, 8 eggs still going strong.

5. Lacrystol

Lacrystol Hatching Helper

Jun 13, 2009
    Diamond, Ohio
    I have ONE duck in my house only because he has slipped tendon and is unable to use one foot. He's my handcapable duck. LOL.. BOY, does she get noisy

6. Y-Knot

Y-Knot Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2014
    Loma Rica, CA
    Hi.
    I have a question. I have one drake and three ducks who are about 5 months old. I've ordered six more ducks who should be one or two drakes (one I'm not sure) and the rest are ducks. (I didn't want too many drakes.)

I plan to raise the little ones in the back bedroom (in a big fruit crate) until they are about a month old. The will then be moved out to a pen next to the older ducks. They will also be spending the night in the other side of the duck house. I had a barrier put in the middle for that reason. When do you think I should put the two groups together? Will the older ducks be cool with the younger ones?

I'd like to move them together because the "big duck" pen is larger but don't want to do it until they are somewhat used to each other.

Thanks for any advice.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia "I Believe" Premium Member

X4

8. PotatoWaffles

PotatoWaffles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2014
    Northwest Ohio
    No luck with the torpedo pics, they just turn out blurry, but I got some more cute ones. They sure do grow fast!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry for constantly bombarding you all with pics, lol.

9. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

No keep them coming!!

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia "I Believe" Premium Member

When your ducklings are feathered in then they should go outside in the pen next to your adults. Putting them out too soon can cause problems since they won't have their feathers to help keep them warm. Once they are outside they will need to live side by side until the ducklings are same size as the adults. when you can supervise you can try letting them be together for treats and be there to break up any roughness the adults may try. But I wouldn't leave them together until same size.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by