The Duck Thread

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ZakoHero, Jan 17, 2013.

1. tinkerfairy

tinkerfairy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2015
    Elkin N.C.
    One of my 2 runners is my baby I read they'd a skiddish breed but she's my sweetest then our unknown largest is our next sweetest now if pebbles my runner doesn't like you she will spit on you. She didn't like how the girl picked her up at tractor supply and she let her have it, she's been nothing but a cuddle buddy since we got her home. When I took them home I had to ride with a hand inside the box so they would feel safe

Last edited: Mar 31, 2015
  2. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]
    Here's one of the babies
    And here are the parents, I walked them to the creek so they could have some fun...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Splash
    [​IMG]

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    This sums up my experience brooding ducklings!

4. saulsberry

saulsberry Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2015
    Virginia
    I let my mallards swim in our pond and a wild mallard pair that has made our pond their home came over and mated with my female and the males started fighting. I keep them in the yard now so they dont get harrased byvthe wild ones. They are so cute hennible.

5. hennible

hennible Overrun With Chickens

Oh crud
    I never thought about that... We have wild mallards who pop in during spring... Hope the mallard doesn't try anything (if they show up) my drakes a fair bit bigger than a mallard....

6. randerson846

randerson846 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2013
    Here is a link to the ducklings first swim :D

7. Big Orp

Big Orp Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2013
    Medway Ohio
    I am looking for some ducks for meat that I can put on my pond. I have a 3 acre pond that has lots of good foraging. What is a good breed or breeds.

8. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    So sweet! And they look very happy!! And Only 5 months? Goodness, mine are 12 days, and have grown a ton, but its also kinda sad that they look like adults at such a young age. Baby ducklings are soooo cute. Not that the adults aren't too, I just mean its different, ya know. Congrats on the eggies! I look forward to that day!

That's interesting about the head nod too. I'll have to watch for that!

9. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds! Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Such a beautiful stream and beautiful duckies! Looks like a perfect setting.

10. chickenchick312

chickenchick312 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2015
    Virginia
    [​IMG] my little babies swimming today . I use to think I like chicken keeping . unlti I got these little babies now I'd much rather raise ducks :) I found a new passion

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by