The Duck Thread

I lost my male today. For some reason he drowned in their pond while he and the female were playing. They could get in and out just fine and I don't know what happened. I tried blowing air into him and rubbing his chest to get the water out and air in because I could hear gurgling. Didn't work, and I am so sad. My little female was running all over the pen and crying for him :(

I lost my male today. For some reason he drowned in their pond while he and the female were playing. They could get in and out just fine and I don't know what happened. I tried blowing air into him and rubbing his chest to get the water out and air in because I could hear gurgling. Didn't work, and I am so sad. My little female was running all over the pen and crying for him
sad.png

Oh hon I am so sorry. :(

hugs.gif

hey guys, I am new to raising a duck, but we brought home a duckling with our chicks as it looked so sad all by itself at cal ranch, it is in the brooding pen with the chicks that vary between 2-7 weeks old. It is having fun playing momma to the chicks and seems to really stress if they are out of it's sight. it is still quite fuzzy just starting to get some feather starting on the tail end nothing on the wings yet.

we have come up with a way to reduce that now chicks are a little bigger so it can go play in the pond and forage on nice days, she seems fin eating unmedicated starter food but she is getting lettuce and grass cuttings from yard in the pen too.

There is a pair of wild ducks on the property that raise their brood there every year.

Any other suggestions until she can be outside all the time?

Last edited:

hey guys, I am new to raising a duck, but we brought home a duckling with our chicks as it looked so sad all by itself at cal ranch, it is in the brooding pen with the chicks that vary between 2-7 weeks old. It is having fun playing momma to the chicks and seems to really stress if they are out of it's sight. it is still quite fuzzy just starting to get some feather starting on the tail end nothing on the wings yet.

we have come up with a way to reduce that now chicks are a little bigger so it can go play in the pond and forage on nice days, she seems fin eating unmedicated starter food but she is getting lettuce and grass cuttings from yard in the pen too.

There is a pair of wild ducks on the property that raise their brood there every year.

Any other suggestions until she can be outside all the time?

Make sure she's getting a good source of niacin (either brewer's yeast in her food or plain (not no-flush) niacin in her water).

I live in Idaho and have never heard of brewers yeast, if what I am feeding besides the grass and bugs frm outside ventures isn't enough, where would I buy that from?

here is what it says the start/grow feed provides:

Crude Protein, % (min)
Crude Fat, % (min)
Crude Fiber, % (max)
Lysine, % (min)
Calcium, % (Ca) (min)
Calcium, % (Ca) (max)
Phosphorus, % (P) (min)
Salt, % (Na Cl) (min)
Salt, % (Na Cl) (max)
Vitamin A, IU/lb (min)
Vitamin E, IU/lb (min)
Methionine, % (min)
Phytase (A. Oryzae), FYT/lb (min)

I live in Idaho and have never heard of brewers yeast, if what I am feeding besides the grass and bugs frm outside ventures isn't enough, where would I buy that from?

here is what it says the start/grow feed provides:

Crude Protein, % (min)
Crude Fat, % (min)
Crude Fiber, % (max)
Lysine, % (min)
Calcium, % (Ca) (min)
Calcium, % (Ca) (max)
Phosphorus, % (P) (min)
Salt, % (Na Cl) (min)
Salt, % (Na Cl) (max)
Vitamin A, IU/lb (min)
Vitamin E, IU/lb (min)
Methionine, % (min)
Phytase (A. Oryzae), FYT/lb (min)

You can get it at any "health food" type store or vitamin store, like Vitamin Cottage, Sprouts, Whole Foods, etc... I order mine from Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E5ZAWIG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You might even be able to get it in the vitamin section or bulk foods section of your grocery store if you have a big enough store in your area.

Thanks for the help, at least the duckling isn't sad and depressed now it seems to be growing good and I will go get some of the supplement when stores open tomorrow.

It is hilarious watching them together, especially when they decide to play tug of war, this one I am pretty sure has mothering down pat before she's even old enough, she's trying to coax the chicks to go swimming lol

Thanks for the help, at least the duckling isn't sad and depressed now it seems to be growing good and I will go get some of the supplement when stores open tomorrow.

It is hilarious watching them together, especially when they decide to play tug of war, this one I am pretty sure has mothering down pat before she's even old enough, she's trying to coax the chicks to go swimming lol

That has to be a funny sight! She probably can't figure out why those funny looking ducks don't like water.

yeah she does, they will stay at edge of the pond though so she can go for a nice swim, we are up north so still a lot of days the chicks can't go out yet. She will not go outside if the chicks can't.

My mom said she may take off with the wild ducks so I had better clip her wings and I am more like well if that's what she wants to do she will do it, not gonna do that to her. I don't think she will as much as she worries about the baby chicks though

Back
Top Bottom