The Duck Thread

I lost my male today. For some reason he drowned in their pond while he and the female were playing. They could get in and out just fine and I don't know what happened. I tried blowing air into him and rubbing his chest to get the water out and air in because I could hear gurgling. Didn't work, and I am so sad. My little female was running all over the pen and crying for him
sad.png
hugs.gif

yeah she does, they will stay at edge of the pond though so she can go for a nice swim, we are up north so still a lot of days the chicks can't go out yet. She will not go outside if the chicks can't.

My mom said she may take off with the wild ducks so I had better clip her wings and I am more like well if that's what she wants to do she will do it, not gonna do that to her. I don't think she will as much as she worries about the baby chicks though

It doesn't hurt them to clip a wing, all you're doing is taking the ends of the feathers off. It's more like a haircut.

I lost my male today. For some reason he drowned in their pond while he and the female were playing. They could get in and out just fine and I don't know what happened. I tried blowing air into him and rubbing his chest to get the water out and air in because I could hear gurgling. Didn't work, and I am so sad. My little female was running all over the pen and crying for him :(
Oh, that is so sad. I am very sorry. I hope she and you can support each other.

I lost my male today. For some reason he drowned in their pond while he and the female were playing. They could get in and out just fine and I don't know what happened. I tried blowing air into him and rubbing his chest to get the water out and air in because I could hear gurgling. Didn't work, and I am so sad. My little female was running all over the pen and crying for him :(

Oh no! I'm so sorry. How old were they?

They are two months old, I think. I only lost the male, so I still have the female. I want to get her a friend but am feeling kind of lackluster after today.

Awwww I'm sorry. Mine are 5 weeks. Did you get them at TSC or a similar place, or hatch them? I would bet that you can find another one (or two) about her age. I always wonder how many people buy cute little day-old ducklings and aren't prepared for how much work they are, then turn around and get rid of them a couple months later. I'd check Craigslist.
Best wishes to you...

They are two months old, I think. I only lost the male, so I still have the female. I want to get her a friend but am feeling kind of lackluster after today.
What are your temps could he have gotten hypothermia? Your little one needs a friend now please try and find her one or 2. Craiglist is a good place to start looking or a rescue close by. Iain Utah may have some ducklings already you could PM her.

Awwww I'm sorry. Mine are 5 weeks. Did you get them at TSC or a similar place, or hatch them? I would bet that you can find another one (or two) about her age. I always wonder how many people buy cute little day-old ducklings and aren't prepared for how much work they are, then turn around and get rid of them a couple months later. I'd check Craigslist.
Best wishes to you...

What are your temps could he have gotten hypothermia?  Your little one needs a friend now please try and find her one or 2. Craiglist is a good place to start looking or a rescue close by. Iain Utah may have some ducklings already you could PM her.

Thank you for the suggestions. I have been looking on KSL, which is similar to Craig's List out this way. I'm not sure how he would have gotten hypothermia because he could have gotten out any time and the other duck was fine. I guess it's possible? *shrug* :(

They've actually been easy to care for thus far, as I keep turkeys and chickens, too. I will still try to find her a friend ASAP because I know they are gregarious animals and I worry about her. I can tell she is lonely and scared. Poor baby.

Thank you for the suggestions. I have been looking on KSL, which is similar to Craig's List out this way. I'm not sure how he would have gotten hypothermia because he could have gotten out any time and the other duck was fine. I guess it's possible? *shrug*
sad.png

They've actually been easy to care for thus far, as I keep turkeys and chickens, too. I will still try to find her a friend ASAP because I know they are gregarious animals and I worry about her. I can tell she is lonely and scared. Poor baby.
GIve the baby a hug if she will let you. Breaks my heart. I hope you can find her a friend soon.

Back
Top Bottom