The Duck Thread

What a little cutie! I think now is just the waiting game. I do know sometimes it takes a little while for them to get on their feet and for the first 24-48 hours they don't need food or water since they are still living off their yoke. My ducks were watching a Grackle fight today. They were all standing in a circle watching them! They would follow them around the yard and I got the last little bit on video. At the end I think Sky tried to break it up and they got her, lol. She is fine and just ran away.
Oh my! Poor duck, but that is kind of funny.
My little duckling did not make it and died in my hands
1f622.png
1f62b.png
1f622.png
Oh no! So sorry. Hugs to you. :(
That is adorable. I have more wild birds in my yard this year. I think it is because I have ducks they think this is a safe place. The extra tubs of water and bits of food laying around help too Im sure. Similar things happen in my yard and I laugh myself silly. My ducks act so funny when birds visit. We have a bunch of Magpies, doves, robins, sparrow & starlings. that visit & nest here regularly. Crow, finch & I dont know what all that are occasional. They get in their mating tousles & the ducks seem to take it personally.
Too funny. I haven't seen how my ducks act yet with unwanted wild company, but I know the chickens will get crabby and run off other birds.
Duck eggs are pipping =) I can't wait to see them all fluffed up =)
7 ducklings hatched so far and lots more eggs are pipping too =) even a couple goose pips early =)
Congrats! They are SO cute!

Very pretty ducklings, and those goslings are pipping because they hear all the racket out there and are so nosy they have to come out early and investigate. :p  

Oh yeah =) I had 13 out this morning and I can hear all kinds of peeping in there =D lots of pips probably 2/3 of the ducklings have hatched all ready and the goose eggs have just started.

Hey guys so I am about to have 13 baby pekin ducklings hatch. I got this vitamin stuff offline that has 5000 niacin and I was wondering How much I should sprinkle on there food and How many times a day. Also How much chic grit should I put on their food and How many times and is it old to put the vitamin stuff and the grit on at the same time or no. Thanks.

Hey guys so I am about to have 13 baby pekin ducklings hatch. I got this vitamin stuff offline that has 5000 niacin and I was wondering How much I should sprinkle on there food and How many times a day. Also How much chic grit should I put on their food and How many times and is it old to put the vitamin stuff and the grit on at the same time or no. Thanks.
5000 megs?? of niacin put chick grit into a small bowl next to their food. not mixed into it. they will eat it as needed. 1 ducklings needs about 100 megs of niacin a day.

IU to mg conversions are complicated and not standard by any means. 5000 IU of Niacin would be reaching a level that could be toxic. If you just sprinkle a very little bit on their food you should be o.k. but make it a very little bit. It sounds like you have an actual vitamin which I have never used. I have always used Brewers Yeast that I get at the health food store, sprinkle it on their feed and they sort of regulate the amount they eat themselves. I would be hesitant to use an actual "human" vitamin.

My hatch is up to 16 and there are at least three More zipping now =)
And two goose eggs are zipping too.
I'll have to get some better pictures tomorrow but I am very pleased with the colors I'm getting, and I should be able to tell the runners apart after 24 hours when they start standing upright =)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom