The Duck Thread

I've got 8, mixed breeds and ages who all live in the same run.

They aren't BY tabs, it's powder.

I'm going to bring wobbles and his best bud inside for a while. Wobbles is used to being inside anyway, as he's my cuddle duck.

If I'm using one of these feeders.....
2b07.png
2b07.png

(greyfeather aka wobbles & rousch as babies).
2b06.png
2b06.png

How much powered BY do I add to hoe much food? I don't NEED to use that, I have measuring cups and different bowls I could use to get the correct ratio.

Financially I won't be able to get niacin tabs until next payday. I was told not to use the kind I have. Also in powered form.
This is just my suggestion and I am sure that there are those that will agree and disagree with me. But, do not use the Niacin pills/tab/whatever. Only use the brewers yeast. I would use some sort of shallow bowl instead of the purple feeder. Put the food in the bowl and then sprinkle 1 teaspoon of brewers yeast on it. They will adequately self-dose this way. If you also add niacin to the water you are risking overdosing them. Niacin overdose symptoms include dizziness and falling. So since you don't want that to happen don't risk it. While you would have a hard time overdosing on niacin rich food it is possible to do so with chemical based niacin.

So, really simple, a cup of food with one teaspoon brewers yeast sprinkled on top. Do this each time you feed them and in a few days you should see some positive results. No need to buy anything else.

Thanks first the advice. I of course wasn't planning on using both Brewer yeast and niacin. I just figured that using it in water instead of food would be easier to mix properly for the whole flock. Especially considering they have separate drinking and swimming water.

As for the two I'm bringing inside, 1c/1tsp is very easy.
I use through same ratio when giving to the rest?
Should this supplement be a daily additive as they grow into adults?

If BY is better, I will most likely continue to use that due to the HUGE price difference.

About my wobbly duck

I've got some videos if it would help anyone identify his problem.

Also, since I'm bringing two back inside; given the ones ailment, their age and rising temperature outside... do I still need to use a heat lamp? They're 5/6wks. According to what I've read 75° is about okay. If I need a lamp would I be able to use a regular light bulb? My red bulb broke a few days ago, and We're still using the other one outside at night.

Thanks first the advice. I of course wasn't planning on using both Brewer yeast and niacin. I just figured that using it in water instead of food would be easier to mix properly for the whole flock. Especially considering they have separate drinking and swimming water.

If BY is better, I will most likely continue to use that due to the HUGE price difference.
Actually it's 1 Tab to 1 cup of feed. give this to all of them until at least 10-12 weeks old so if your feeding say 6 cups of feed per day put in 6 tab of BY

Brewers Yeast is neither better nor worse than something else. I use it because it is easy and I don't have to quite as careful about dosage and measuring. I added it to my ducks food until they were old enough to move up to the Grower classification of feed and be outdoors where they can forage. You can safely give the same dosage/measurement to your other ducks as well.

Thanks. I just want to make sure I give the proper amounts and not overdose.

Off topic -sorta- since BY has proven a bit hard to find, my dad went in search but only found Nutritional yeast. Is there a difference? If so what are they?

Thanks. I just want to make sure I give the proper amounts and not overdose.

Off topic -sorta- since BY has proven a bit hard to find, my dad went in search but only found Nutritional yeast. Is there a difference? If so what are they?
Nutritionally they are equivalent, you can use either. Personally I find Nutritional Yeast much tastier so that's what I use for both me and the ducks. Brewer's Yeast is a by-product of the beer brewing process where Nutritional Yeast is grown just to be a supplement. Both are used by vegetarians for extra B vitamins.

Back
Top Bottom