The Duck Thread

Bingo! Yes, 2.5 tablespoons is way too much! FWIW, I asked two different people to to measure out the number of tablespoons in their packages and both counted out ~18 tablespoons, which means that each tablespoon weighs ~10 grams. More math to follow.

-Kathy

Yeah me!! LOL

I poured out my Sav-A-Chick electrolyte and measured it down to an 1/8 tablespoon portions. I only wanted to make a few cups at a time, so I weighed the entire contents, then divided it up to figure out what one cup of water would take. I make like 3 cups at a time for the babies' quart container. But I don't have any of the medicine you are talking about.

Peep is being sneaky!! Took me a while to find this!!! So, the last time ske had a clutch: 11 eggs, she rolled out 3 stinkers, out of 8 eggs, she hatched 13 babies. Right now she has 10 eggs and is still laying... Wonder how many I get this time???

Peep is being sneaky!! Took me a while to find this!!! So, the last time ske had a clutch: 11 eggs, she rolled out 3 stinkers, out of 8 eggs, she hatched 13 babies. Right now she has 10 eggs and is still laying... Wonder how many I get this time???
If you end up with more twins you should call the World Record folks...I think she may be trying to set one.

What do you do with all those ducklings? you must have a huge pond. They sure are cute though and i really beleive ducks think it's their duty to over populate the world.[with cuteness]

What do you do with all those ducklings? you must have a huge pond. They sure are cute though and i really beleive ducks think it's their duty to over populate the world.[with cuteness] 
Most of my pekin x mallards are meat ducks (males), the females are layers. This year is about building a strong lay flock and boosting egg sales. Yearly we cull for meat. Between hunting, fishing and ducks, I can limit what I buy in a grocery store. Gardening on our land isn't a great option, so one of the local farms does vegetables and hay trades with us. And our pond is almost an acre with 2 acres for ranging.

Last edited:
Most of my pekin x mallards are meat ducks (males), the females are layers. This year is about building a strong lay flock and boosting egg sales. Yearly we cull for meat. Between hunting, fishing and ducks, I can limit what I buy in a grocery store. Gardening on our land isn't a great option, so one of the local farms does vegetables and hay trades with us. And our pond is almost an acre with 2 acres for ranging.
Sounds lovely and nice to be able to barter too.

Sounds lovely and nice to be able to barter too.
I love the local farm! My core flock is here forever though. There's Peep and Big Momma and Lola and Triumph and Girl Duck (who is actually the drake, but quacks!)my Cayugas are still just working on their names, Rain just got his/her name when t noticed the bib has little spots that look like droplets, and Splotchy who has multicolored feet and very cool feathering. My two female mallards Lucy and Ricky and the geese....oh, then my 4 baby khakis, Popcorn, Sunny, Humphrey, and Cork..... Those are family!

I love the local farm! My core flock is here forever though. There's Peep and Big Momma and Lola and Triumph and Girl Duck (who is actually the drake, but quacks!)my Cayugas are still just working on their names, Rain just got his/her name when t noticed the bib has little spots that look like droplets, and Splotchy who has multicolored feet and very cool feathering. My two female mallards Lucy and Ricky and the geese....oh, then my 4 baby khakis, Popcorn, Sunny, Humphrey, and Cork..... Those are family!

I'm convinced that I'd be very happy as a squatter at either your place or Miss Lydia's.
hide.gif

Isn't a tablespoon (U.S.) a half an ounce?  

Another winner! What were they thinking? Very scary to think that a company as big as they are doesn't have someone to catch those types of errors. There's another error, too... They based their dosing info on one tablespoon weighing 15 grams, but all powders I have weighed weigh between 9 and 12 grams per tablespoon, not 15!

Many might be thinking "one tablespoon does weigh 15 grams", and this is true for water or things with a similar density as water, but powders are not as dense as water. 

More math to follow. :cool:

FYI, I am not a math wiz, not even close, and this has been somewhat difficult for me, but I'm finally getting the hang of it.

-Kathy

I was wrong... Just weighed one teaspoon (5ml) of table salt and it weighs 7 grams. So let me re-phrase what I said above... Most powders are not as dense as water, some might be the same and some might be heavier.

Weighed to date:
Water - one teaspoon = 5 grams
Table salt - one teaspoon = 7 grams
Corid - one teaspoon = ~3 grams
Sulfa-G - one teaspoon = ~3 grams
Durvet 10 - one teaspoon = ~3.3 - 4 grams
Tylosin - one teaspoon = 2.5. - 2.7 grams
Safeguard paste - 5ml = 5 grams
Ivermectin paste - 5ml = 5 grams

-Kathy

I'm convinced that I'd be very happy as a squatter at either your place or Miss Lydia's.  :oops:
Ok, but you gotta pet the dogs, keep the geese from stealing babies, make sure the pibble doesn't fall in the pond (the geese will get her, or she'll panic and then you're going in after her!) make sure Caesar doesn't let his bunny out, play with the other bunnies, oh ya, the neighbors have a 2 day old foal you might be forced to go visit!!! My days off are tough, whew!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom